Make a pizza paddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Make a pizza paddle

First off , I have used many paddles and peels . And I just picked up a new baking stone for my BBQ
20" x 13.5" Napoleon brand, and I love this so far.

So to the paddle, it could not be more than a 12" one as the stone was not that big
Was going to just buy one but they wanted too much money and they were mostly too thick

So in the shop I had some scrap 3/8 plywood ( 5/16 really ) and was just going to make a template to see if size and strength were good.
( kind of wished I had used a better piece of wood , but this works )

DSC_7257.JPG

DSC_7262.JPG

Well it worked out so right that I just went with it. Wanted a little larger than the 12", so just a shade over 13" and did not need the handle as long as I used to use where it is only for the BBQ.

DSC_7258.JPG

Jigged out the template , and I needed a strong back to stop it from bending when I load up a double decker pizza on it, lol
So copied the handle and glued and screwed to main section on the underside, scribed in a 9" and 12" circle guide than burnt it in so it would stay after sanding and using

DSC_7263.JPG

Took it over to the stationary sander and put a very nice bevel on the underside for placing and removing foods off the stone. sanded all the curves and swerves. Rounded all the sharp edges and handle. Put a hole for a cord to hang on the Q

DSC_7264.JPG

DSC_7265.JPG
DSC_7266.JPG

Left about 1/8 " edge on the front just for strength .
All sanded and prettyed up and ready for some pizza work

DSC_7268.JPG

First up was a nice smoky ham and cheese calzone

DSC_7276.JPG DSC_7283.JPG

Thanks for looking

That is my new pizza paddle build

David

Last edited:
So wheres the addy where we can order one? Looks good.

Jim
ha ha Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

That is why I made my own , it was too costly to order it on line and most of them were way too thick for what I like and am used to.

I did trace this one in case I wanted to make more :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks good David . Classic technique for the radius point at the handle neck .
Get a good coat of cutting board oil on it .
Router and a pattern bit you can rough out a blank and use that one as a guide .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks good David . Classic technique for the radius point at the handle neck .
Get a good coat of cutting board oil on it .
Router and a pattern bit you can rough out a blank and use that one as a guide .

Thanks rich for the comment

Not sure I want to use the cutting board oil on this as it has to stay pretty dry for the doughs to slide off easy. I find the cutting boards though dry to the feel they are still just a touch tacky. I have only ever floured the paddles when I used to cook .
Buy in saying that i have some prefinished Birch plywood that i use for cabinet drawers when I build them. I did trace out this paddle onto a piece of it , can be seen in one of the pictures of the finished paddle.

Was also going to do like you said with the pattern bit in the router. But wanted to do the calzone first, lol

David

I use it on my wood ones with no issue . When ever I do cutting boards I sand them , then spritz with water to raise the grain , then re-sand and put a thick coat of board oil on them . They're like glass . My wood peels are solid pine though . Not sure it would be the same for plywood .
I made this one from an old SS tray I found and some maple scrap . Used 2X4's to bend the offset . Works pretty good .
1683566262011.jpeg

Now that is a great looking peel. How do you get the pizza in the oven on your wooden pizza boards ?

I have done a few cutting board countertops, and there is quite a process to keeping them in shape. More of a bees wax food grade oil blend. So they do not dry crack and or swell from too much moisture and heat around the stoves and sinks

This one is solid Maple 1 1/2" Butcher Block to match the solid maple doors and drawers I ordered and installed. I removed the 2 lazy susans and built corner drawers for better usage ( though you do lose some area, but no more on hands and knees trying to get the items that fell off the spinner ) I ordered in double drawers and 45 them to make 1 drawer face.
Lots of counter and island all solid Maple Butcher Block

I still go there about once every year and a half to rescrape the counters and than the customer goes back to the routine of the Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, than just once a month coating of the butcher block counters
The cut out for the sink he wanted me to make serving trays out of them. He also asked me to make a open dish storage rack of of maple , you can just barely see up on wall in one picture. He loves the look of Maple.

DSCF0957.JPG DSCF0975.JPG

DSCF0981.JPG DSCF0977.JPG

DSCF0978.JPG DSCF0973.JPG

They still look good after 7 years.

But I kind of make sure he keeps up with the preserving of the countertops

David

How do you get the pizza in the oven on your wooden pizza boards ?
I always use parchment paper or even foil . Once the crust sets I pull it out . I've tried the semolina on the wood boards . It works , but the parchment you just pull out and toss .

Great looking counter tops , and nice work on that kitchen . The board oil I uses is a blend of bees wax and food grade / mineral oil . I just bought a new one that has a finish in it . 100% food grade AFTER it fully cures . It's hard and water Proof I think . The other is water resistant .

I've tried the semolina on the wood boards . It works , but the parchment you just pull out and toss .

Ok that would work,
I am just used to very light flour and a quick flick/ shake of the board handle and the pizza is loose than just shake slide on to the stone, We will see if I still have the touch on my next pizza. :emoji_sunglasses: the calzone came off good this time .

Thank you on the kitchen, it was a fun build and first time to make the inside corner drawers , but they worked great

My customer gets his counter top dressing ( bees wax oil mix ) from some place in Maine, he goes through there a lot as he is an avid Kayaker
and they travel and teach white water kayak surfing and touring.

David

Now that is a great looking peel. How do you get the pizza in the oven on your wooden pizza boards ?

I have done a few cutting board countertops, and there is quite a process to keeping them in shape. More of a bees wax food grade oil blend. So they do not dry crack and or swell from too much moisture and heat around the stoves and sinks

This one is solid Maple 1 1/2" Butcher Block to match the solid maple doors and drawers I ordered and installed. I removed the 2 lazy susans and built corner drawers for better usage ( though you do lose some area, but no more on hands and knees trying to get the items that fell off the spinner ) I ordered in double drawers and 45 them to make 1 drawer face.
Lots of counter and island all solid Maple Butcher Block

I still go there about once every year and a half to rescrape the counters and than the customer goes back to the routine of the Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, than just once a month coating of the butcher block counters
The cut out for the sink he wanted me to make serving trays out of them. He also asked me to make a open dish storage rack of of maple , you can just barely see up on wall in one picture. He loves the look of Maple.

View attachment 665069 View attachment 665072

View attachment 665075 View attachment 665073

View attachment 665074 View attachment 665071

They still look good after 7 years.

But I kind of make sure he keeps up with the preserving of the countertops

David
I love the corner drawers. A great idea.
Bet it was challenge getting the rails in the cabinet.

I love the corner drawers. A great idea.
Bet it was challenge getting the rails in the cabinet

Thanks for the like and the comment

Yes , I changed most of their kitchen cabinets to drawers of sorts or at least pull out cabinets. And I use full drawer slides that will hold over 150 pounds
and come all the way out so you can see everything in the drawers.

It was a bit of a head scratcher as you have to have the slide members within a 1/16" for them to work right, and even. and a tight squeese in the openings for the old lazy Susans

DSCF0976.JPG

David

Thanks for the like and the comment

Yes , I changed most of their kitchen cabinets to drawers of sorts or at least pull out cabinets. And I use full drawer slides that will hold over 150 pounds
and come all the way out so you can see everything in the drawers.

It was a bit of a head scratcher as you have to have the slide members within a 1/16" for them to work right, and even. and a tight squeese in the openings for the old lazy Susans

View attachment 665188

David
We have the Lazy Susan, and put stuff in it we rarely use.
After seeing this, I'm wishing I hadn't sold all my woodworking equipment.

Nice job on the paddle David. It looks professional.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky