Kamado vs stick burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmayway

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Lancaster PA
Can anyone share their experience in how the flavor differs between smoking with kamado style grill and a stick burner? I am really wanting the best smoke flavor but just do not have the time to dedicate to a stick burner at this stage of life. It seems a kamado would be the next best thing, but are they close? If a stick burner puts out a 10 in clean smoke flavor, is a kamado a 1,5,9,etc?

Can anyone share their experience in how the flavor differs between smoking with kamado style grill and a stick burner? I am really wanting the best smoke flavor but just do not have the time to dedicate to a stick burner at this stage of life. It seems a kamado would be the next best thing, but are they close? If a stick burner puts out a 10 in clean smoke flavor, is a kamado a 1,5,9,etc?
I don’t smoke a lot with my egg but I thought I might recommend you also consider a charcoal cabinet smoker. If a stick burner is a 10 you can get darn close to 8-9 with a charcoal cabinet. You can smoke quite a bit more in one as well. I think the advantage an egg would give us if you want it to use as a grill as well.

I'm curious how a charcoal cabinet produces different results than an egg. I read through some stuff and it appears the good ones are basically an insulated charcoal grill that you can add wood too, basically what I understand an egg to be

I'm curious how a charcoal cabinet produces different results than an egg. I read through some stuff and it appears the good ones are basically an insulated charcoal grill that you can add wood too, basically what I understand an egg to be
I have both but overall agree with you. I find temp control to be much easier on my cabinet. Both are charcoal fueled with wood for flavor so end result should be comparable. From a capacity standpoint cabinets win. Most smokes I do would be well beyond the capacity of my egg.

I have both but overall agree with you. I find temp control to be much easier on my cabinet. Both are charcoal fueled with wood for flavor so end result should be comparable. From a capacity standpoint cabinets win. Most smokes I do would be well beyond the capacity of my egg.
Very interesting thanks for the reply. What brand of charcoal cabinet smoker do you like? This decision is going into an outdoor kitchen. I may end up with charcoal grill, pellet smoker, and a charcoal smoker or stick burner lol!

If you want to consolidate cooking tools based on your last post perhaps you should look at a Lang hybrid that has offset smoker and charcoal grill. For cabinet smokers I have a 270 Smokers model. Backwoods and Humphreys are solid choices too. Pricey but will last a lifetime. Insulated and can smoke in sub zero. They all hold temps rock steady once dialed in. Might help to give us an idea of your total budget for the grills / smokers combined.

If you want to consolidate cooking tools based on your last post perhaps you should look at a Lang hybrid that has offset smoker and charcoal grill. For cabinet smokers I have a 270 Smokers model. Backwoods and Humphreys are solid choices too. Pricey but will last a lifetime. Insulated and can smoke in sub zero. They all hold temps rock steady once dialed in. Might help to give us an idea of your total budget for the grills / smokers combined.
I wont say I have an unlimited budget... but I'm doing this under the "buy once cry once" premise. I want to do it right. And if the end goal is to have all the cookers for the best possible quick grill, long grill(chicken) and low smoke I may build the kitchen accordingly to accept what I will add in even if I cannot afford the particular cooker right off the bat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky