How long to get offset smoker up to temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brenkj

Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
I'm using my new offset smoker for the first time (aside from seasoning it). If it matters, it has a 42-inch cook chamber and an extra-long firebox (about 21 inches). I started by lighting a chimney full of Big Green Egg charcoal and then I used those hot coals to start the wood (small hickory logs). It's been over an hour and the temp at the cooking surface is still at only 225. Is it normal to take this long for a smoker to get up to cooking temp?

Thanks.

If the offset is one of the thin metal ones, then yes, you need a lot of heat to keep a large chamber like that heated. I would’ve used two or maybe even 3 chimneys full of hot coals to start it, and depending on size of your logs and how dry they are depends how long they will take to get going

the larger the smoker and firebox, the more fuel it will take to heat it. My New Braunfels 36 inch chamber only takes one chimney and a couple of splits to be happy, but I have it well sealed and it is very heavy steel. I plan on at least an hour to start the fire and get the smoker up to temp. Mine like to run at 375° or so in the summertime, so I don't fight it. Food is just as good as if it were smoked at 225°, but finishes faster

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
I have found what works for me is getting a good bed of coals in the beginning.
I will crib my splits and put some smaller splits in between .
I go 3 layers high. And then light it with a weed burner. It takes usually 40-60 minutes for me but I have a Lang 84D.
When all that wood is burn down I throw 2 more splits on and start smoking.

I think it may depend on the cooker. I have a Lang and like to give it an hour. That lets the cooker itself warm up which holds temp more evenly.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the answer is that I'm an idiot. I was trying to regulate my temp by keeping the firebox door completely closed and using a DigiQ unit and fan. A single fan just is not enough to rev up the temp in a firebox as big as mine. As soon as I disconnected the fan and opened the firebox door and chimney flue a bit, the temp shot up to 250-275 in 5 minutes.

Reactions: flexster
The answer is you are trying to figure out the controls on a new stick/charcoal burner. It takes a lot more trial and error than the other fueled units.
My worst control is trying to use my Weber for smoking. I only used it as a charcoal grill and decided to try smoking this year. I go from too hot to put out the fire. Working on the desired level.

What is your cooker?

I recommend you learn how to cook on your pit before you start cooking with a guru. You'll have a much better understanding of temperature control, fluctuations, amount of fuel to use, etc.

I do have digital probes for smoker temp and meat temp but fueling around and dantij pretty much covered it. Learn your smoker and you may find like I becomes easier to maintain temps.

Sometimes heat gets trapped in the fire box... Adding upper air inlets to the FB will move the heat to the CC... Members here have found this mod very useful..

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg
FB air flow diagram 2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky