Hot/cold smoke house build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing to be aware of, while the block foundation is overall good, it also is a huge heat sink. It will rob a lot of heat at first so as your cook goes on the temps will eventually start rising unexplainable, but it will be that block foundation. These are long smokes or cooks where this will happen.
Good info, appreciate that. I don't think I asked what yours was made of, did you stain or poly yours for weather protection? Little concerned on the connection point where the wood meets the block, not really sure how to address that but I could protect the outside.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Good info, appreciate that. I don't think I asked what yours was made of, did you stain or poly yours for weather protection? Little concerned on the connection point where the wood meets the block, not really sure how to address that but I could protect the outside.
My smokehouse is all plywood construction, 2x3 frame, that is pine.

The connection from masonry to wood , I would use redwood for rot, but otherwise any framing materials are fine for the sill plate.

Reactions: rlleveng
I covered the front with 1x6 rough sawn Douglas fir and would like to cover the rest the same. As for a exterior seal I used some water based stain from Home Depot. Matters not to the meat inside.

Reactions: rlleveng
Another day and a half in, starting to come together. Starting to get down to the details now, such as the offset and venting.

Going to purchase a cheap pellet smokestack offline, can get them for like $25. Question, is the ability to damper the stack needed? I'm guessing not since most folks just drill holes in the side? Will see if the chimney even pulls, my carpentry skills may have created its own ventilation.

20230226_165416.jpg

Attachments

• 20230226_165416.jpg
    20230226_165416.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 9
Inaugural smoke today, coming to a close on the project. Just need to finish the offset, chimney, and inside tray/racks. Happy with it.
20230312_150527.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky