First time smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malay smoker

Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Thank you Jeff for introducing me to the joyful art of smoking. I tried my first smoked chicken. My first try was not too good because I am sure because I took the chicken out too early. Now I know that the chicken must be in the smoke for at least 4 hours. I will do better, I am sure of that.
icon_redface.gif

It's never about time. It's always about temperature. Your smoker should be kept at about 225, you should get an accurate thermometer, place the thermometer in the thigh of the chicken (the part that will get done last), and stop only when the temp gets to 170 in the thigh.

The only exception that I can think of is 3-2-1 ribs.

Hi Malay Smoker!...Welcome to the SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
...Glad to have you aboard!...I think you're gonna love it here...

Why not head on over to Roll Call so we can all give you a proper welcome to the SMF family!...

I agree with Kew_El_Steve that time is not the yardstick to measure
how well done that yardbird is...or any other meat for that matter!...

Obtain a good digital thermometer with dual probes to use while smoking...

An example of this type thermometer is the Smoking Meat Store...

One probe can be used to measure the temp at cooking grate level, while the other keeps tabs on the temp of the meat you're smoking...

It sure makes it easier to smoke some good quality 'Q'!...

Whatever questions you may have, ask away!...There's always someone around to provide the answers for you...

Again...Welcome Aboard the SMF!...We're glad to have you with us!

Until later...

Coley has it going on. Great advise.

Hey Malay it gets better!

I don't do chicken at 225 I smoke chicken at 300 to 350. Makes a nice crspy skin and comes out moist ans tender. No need for Low and slow on chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky