Dyna Glo Wide Body: 100F Degree Difference between top and bottom

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

desert_fox

Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
Hello Everyone, Newbie here.

Just got my Dyna Glo Wide body and doing my first season session, with all racks filled with bacon, and charcoal chamber full, the top thermometer is showing ~300F and the bottom ~200F. No baffle is installed. All vents wide open. I'm still confused as to why the bottom is a lot colder than the top. I even plugged the drip hole at the bottom with weber grommet and nothing changed. The thermometers' probe are not touching any metal. They're calibrated (DozyAnt), tested them and are accurate at 212F when probes were immersed in boiling water. Any ideas gentlemen?

IMG_5454.JPG

Bottom
IMG_5455.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5454.JPG
    IMG_5454.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 3
As with most things in life I could be wrong but I’m not surprised the top is hotter than the bottom. By how much is the question and I’m not sure If your difference is normal or too much. The top of my propane smoker runs a touch hitter.

You could try a few things- pick up a couple of cheap oven therms for each shelf and see the heat distribution. Or you could switch the two dial therms to see. Or if you have a multi-probe there that could help. It might be a good idea to this anyway to get a feel for the hotter and cooler areas of the cooler.
Enjoy and have fun!

As with most things in life I could be wrong but I’m not surprised the top is hotter than the bottom. By how much is the question and I’m not sure If your difference is normal or too much. The top of my propane smoker runs a touch hitter.

You could try a few things- pick up a couple of cheap oven therms for each shelf and see the heat distribution. Or you could switch the two dial therms to see. Or if you have a multi-probe there that could help. It might be a good idea to this anyway to get a feel for the hotter and cooler areas of the cooler.
Enjoy and have fun!
Thanks for the tip JCAP! Will try it out and see where my hotspots are. I heard that using ceramic grill tiles diffuses hotspots. Might try that too.

There are probably a couple ways to even it out some. My guess is there will always be some difference. I second JCAP, buy a multi-probe therm. So you'll know what the temps are and adapt to your smoker. Smoke poultry up higher for crispy skin, rotate top/bottom if needed etc. Trying to outsmart your smoker is half the fun.

Hello Everyone, Newbie here.

Just got my Dyna Glo Wide body and doing my first season session, with all racks filled with bacon, and charcoal chamber full, the top thermometer is showing ~300F and the bottom ~200F. No baffle is installed. All vents wide open. I'm still confused as to why the bottom is a lot colder than the top. I even plugged the drip hole at the bottom with weber grommet and nothing changed. The thermometers' probe are not touching any metal. They're calibrated (DozyAnt), tested them and are accurate at 212F when probes were immersed in boiling water. Any ideas gentlemen?

View attachment 418930

Bottom
View attachment 418931
Has you seen leakage around the body and gasket? Because mine. Which i purchased recently came all around with leakage from the firebox to the smoker section. The best way to identify all those spot is using any wood. I will post some mods that i had done to improve the unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky