Draft flow/top vent calculations...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Gwanger...
Turn your burner on and count how many individual propane jets it has. Then take 15,400 and divide it by that number. Now you know how many BTU's you are reducing with each one you cover with a screw. This is how you dial the heat in. I recommend spreading them out, don't bunch them up all on one side of the burner or you will get uneven heat and hot spots in your smokehouse.
Indaswamp thank you again I will do the math b4 closing off jets in burner.I will check the temps again tomorrow, maybe Mon. my daughter and husband just bought first house and need help moving stuff on Sunday. Thnx again.George, I thought gator would taste like chicken. LOL

Last edited:
AND... the orifice in the venturi of the burner also regulates the total BTU output of the burner......

Propame orifice 12.jpg

The area of the inside cross section of the pipe between the venturi and the burner plays an important part as well. It needs to be the correct size and length for proper fuel mixture and to pull in enough air for proper combustion. If it is too large, the venturi will not work properly.

The area of the inside cross section of the pipe between the venturi and the burner plays an important part as well. It needs to be the correct size and length for proper fuel mixture and to pull in enough air for proper combustion. If it is too large, the venturi will not work properly.
thnx for added info you and Dave have been a great help, thank you both. I will dig out my gas smoker tomorrow and fire it up, I calibrated thermometer this am so I can get an accurate temp. reading

thnx for added info you and Dave have been a great help, thank you both. I will dig out my gas smoker tomorrow and fire it up, I calibrated thermometer this am so I can get an accurate temp. reading
I also have cold smoking attachment with my gas smoker, works good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky