Cutting up my new Yoder Wichita (minor mods)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That lower air inlet is too large... It should be 0.0008 X the volume of the CC.. and 0.0002 for the upper air inlet...
The lower inlet should be below the wood grate...

379437-dc6af76856d980c3327ff12f1bcdea9f.jpg

The lower inlet can be choked down (I usually run it about 3/4 open). It is under the wood grate. I also have since added the upper vent I just don’t have updated photos.

What’s the motivation behind these mods you ask? I was annoyed that there seemed to be a back draft issue from time to time and smoke would come out of the top of the stock vent. I also was annoyed I had to wait for the log to catch fire before closing the door. Small issues that I’m learning to accept but as I said in my first post, I like to tinker. I enjoy bbq’ing because of the journey. This is just part of that journey.

I will try propping the firebox tip door open next time and see how that works. Appreciate the tip!

After about 30 cooks I may have it figured out.

I built another new chimney. This one 4” (same as stock) but 30” long which is exactly what Feldon calls for. Did a few cooks with this and it burns well and I’ve been happy with it. Draft is good. I’m back to using stock door.

Today I had the best cook yet. I bought two fire bricks and wrapped each in foil. I put one in the fire box and one on the right side of the chamber under the convection plate. TEMPS WITHIN 10 DEGREES from left to right. I can’t believe it! At one point, the temps flipped and the left side was actually 10 degrees hotter than the firebox side.

We’ll see if the next cook is as consistent. I also built a 3 sided firebox basket. One log every 45-60 minutes. Was amazing. This smokin thing never gets old.

Anyway, I’ve tried a million vailriations of things and am getting close to perfect as far as temps and draft go. I may not have to cut a hole and drop the chimney stack to grate level after all.

All that said, this is only one cook with consistency. Every cook seems so different but I’m hoping to finally be getting it dialed in.

Ps. Still LOVE this Yoder. Don’t let all these mods fool you. Would buy again.

Two cooks in a row. Temps within 10-15 degrees from left to right. I can still see smoke coming out of the top vent in the stock door but I’ve gotten over this issue (it doesn’t happen all the time). Think I finally figured out the perfect setup. I’ll keep this updated.

Reactions: chazman24
that's great news!
I also did some testing with mine, have you tried the Franklin method of no fire grate, building a huge coal bed and laying the splits across the firebox? seems at least for mine, having the fire sat really low in the firebox helps with the drafting, I do however run my rear door wide open.
When adding a split I open all the fire doors, the air rushing in form all directions gets the split to catch super quick, I then close the top fire door and it carries on running for about 30 minutes a time, this is also a pure oak fire, oak seems more demanding on air flow than other woods, with another wood type I feel I could close the rear door and have the pin wheel wide open

Two cooks in a row. Temps within 10-15 degrees from left to right. I can still see smoke coming out of the top vent in the stock door but I’ve gotten over this issue (it doesn’t happen all the time). Think I finally figured out the perfect setup. I’ll keep this updated.
So is the taller stack basically the only thing needed for better draft? Also do you keep the stock heat management plate in?.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky