Curing chamber high humidity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The evap. coil gets so cold that ice forms on it. The ice will not spike the RH% like water condensate will. Frost free units have a defrost setting and every so often it kicks in and a small heater comes on and melts the ice. The melted ice drips down and out the drain. Any water left evaporates during the cooling cycle because of the fan, and some refreezes on the evap coil. The fan and ice is the key reason why a frost free unit will not have mold issues like the set up you are proposing. Without a fan to move the air, you will get an RH% spike.

You could try it, but watch it closely and check it often for bad mold. What material are you considering using? I suggest something that will not condense water so metal is out. I would not use wood either. HDPE would be a good choice, but the evi-dry would probably be cheaper.

I have a fan that moves the air through that space when the compressor is on. I already jerry rigged it to try it lol. I used an un-used corrugated plastic for sale sign. I’ll let it go for a few days but suspect I will buy a dehumidifier. This will , at a minimum, have been a cool experiment and a good learning opportunity for me. While I was installing this the humidity was freezing to the back wall. Though I suspect it will not stay frozen. I’ll take a look in the morning once it’s stabilized.

You added a fan?
Yes. A 12 volt computer fan, wired into my controller so it comes on when the compressor comes on similar to a fridge. I had the old computer fan and 12 volt adapter kicking around. So basically it was a net zero cost other than time. So far it has dropped the humidity some but it’s higher than I’d like still. Ordered a dehumidifier last night. As I suspect I’ll need/want it. But this has been interesting and fun so far.

Here. It’s highly jerry rigged lol

Attachments

• E123D9E9-8E2F-4AE1-8C33-F7219505585D.jpeg
    E123D9E9-8E2F-4AE1-8C33-F7219505585D.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky