Chicken & Dumplings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
I haven't posted a cook in a while so I thought I'd show off my newest C.I.
I saw a recipe calling for a 3 quart dutch oven and decided I just had to have one. You know how it is ;-)
box.jpg
I tried a couple of things and didn't get many pics:
Baked Ziti and stuffed peppers:
ziti.jpg peppers.jpg
So this is my 3rd use of the pan.
Here we go:
Browned up some boneless skinless thighs in butter and removed.
browned.jpg
Then sauted some onions, celery and parsley and stirred in a little flour.
saute.jpg
Added chicken broth and apple juice and brought to a boil, then put the chicken back in.
boil.jpg chicken added.jpg
Into the oven @ 350 for about 50 minutes.
in oven.jpg
While that was happening I made up the dumplings and dropped them on top after the 50 minutes and baked uncovered at 425 for 10 minutes, covered for another 10 minutes (I'm not sure why, but that's what the recipe called for).
dough.jpg dumplings added.jpg
Toothpick test done!
done.jpg dumpling plate.jpg
Well, the dumplings were the star. Both of us filled up on dumplings and couldn't finish our chicken and vegetables!
I hope to get a lot of use out of this little D.O. with just the two of us. You have to watch out with those checkout line cookbooks, though. This one called for 3# of chicken and I only used 1-1/2# but used the whole amount of sauce. The Baked Ziti called for a 3qt pan but almost overflowed this 3.2 qt.

Thanks for looking and have a great afternoon!

Dan

Attachments

• stuffed plate.jpg
    stuffed plate.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
Have mercy!!! That is a trio of great looking uses of the cast iron! And I love the duo-cooker. If I didnt already have 2 DO and several skillets I would look at getting one. But, I'm afraid SWMBO would find a different use for a skillet!!! :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

Reactions: SmokyMose
Have mercy!!! That is a trio of great looking uses of the cast iron! And I love the duo-cooker. If I didnt already have 2 DO and several skillets I would look at getting one. But, I'm afraid SWMBO would find a different use for a skillet!!! :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Jim
As long as she doesn't use a cast iron skillet you'll probably live :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Love the CI Dutch Oven Dan
And I love making and eating Chicken and Dumplings ( or Doughboys as we call them around here )

No matter the name , great comfort food that I love anytime.

I see a CI Dutch oven in my future, ha ha

David

Oh man what a great few cooks! But those chicken and dumplings are killer! It brings back some good memories! Awesome job!

Congratulations on the spinner ride. Looks good. I’m gonna check in to that CI set. Be handy to have

Congratulations on the spinner ride. Looks good. I’m gonna check in to that CI set. Be handy to have
Thanks! The ride was a big surprise!
I'm not sure what good I'll get out of that lid as a frying pan, though. It's pretty shallow. Maybe for a grilled cheese or rueben?

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky