Beating the Polar Express

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
Here in S/W MI., 10 mile off the big lake I've learned to plan around the weather. Had a hankering for some PP so I rubbed-down this nice little 9# butt w/ mustard, brown sugar and good dusting of Tony's and put it in the frig over-nite. Put it on the counter at 0400hrs to rest and went out to the garage to get set up, why didn't I do that the nite before, dah!! By 0600hrs. my Pit Boss 820 was smoking and up to temp. Left her on smoke for the 1st hour than cranked it to 250* and set my count down timer for 4 hrs. No spritzing, I just let her bark-up real nice. After the 4hrs. I put it in the finishing pan and I.D.'ed the money muscle for the probe and covered her and back on the grill, still at 250* and plugged in the wireless. After a grand total of 7 & 1/2hrs. she hit 205* and back to the house she went. After an hour I pulled the foil to find my best butt yet. Sure am glad I planned ahead.

100_0321.JPG 100_0322.JPG 100_0324.JPG 100_0325.JPG 100_0326.JPG

Thanks guy for all your "Q's" n comments. Growing up as a farm boy down around Coldwater, MI. back in the 50's & 60's I learned the OLD WAYS. I may be all wrong by todays standards but some of them still work for me.

Nice, point for sure. Was that a boneless shoulder?
Kind of like bone-in, not because of the price but more for an indicator for completion. Even before I knew what "BBQ" meant, I was eating pulled pork. My grandpa taught me that when the blade pulled clean the meat was done.

The money muscle for the probe?
Grew up a farm boy and butchered more hogs than I'd like to remember. Learned to I.D. that one muscle that always takes just a little longer to cook so that's where I jab to probe after about 6hrs.

Martin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky