BBQ Picanha served hot!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KVB

Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Hey all,
I don’t post much here, so I thought I would make a little contribution. I watch Guga Foods on YouTube and have seen him rave many times about a cut called “picanha”. It is big in Brazil, his home country. I decided I would get a few for Xmas dinner instead of the usual standing rib roast. WOW were we all happy I went for it!

First, I bought (3) 4lb cuts of local grass fed picanha from my butcher at something like $12/lb I think. It is a fat cap on sirloin top cut. I cryovac’d one for a rainy day and trimmed up the other two. Left about 3/8” fat on top and trimmed it all off the bottom and sides.

Then, I cut a pocket in each piece and stuffed with 3 cups shredded mozzarella and smoked bacon, and pinned the opening closed with wood skewers. I filleted one open on the wrong side too, but it turned out good anyway.

After I finished the prep I scored the fat on top to help it crisp up on the BBQ, and covered both pieces with a bacon salt that I made. No pepper

I fired the BBQ up with some hickory lump charcoal and got her at about 425 on the grates. I grilled the picanhas fat cap up and indirect for about 40 minutes till they hit 127IT. Then I pulled and tented them while I waited for the coals to get scorching hot with the lid off. I threw them back on and reverse seared till it crisped up. Let her rest for 10 min uncovered and voila!
This was the result -

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year Everyone!

Beautifully done.
Looks like it could have used a little longer rest.I know, it's hard, beating off the pack of wolves and all....

Reactions: KVB
Beautifully done.
Looks like it could have used a little longer rest.I know, it's hard, beating off the pack of wolves and all....
I agree. I’m going for at least 30 next time. That will bring her more into the medium rare spot too. Unfortunately I was already behind on the cook! Will plan better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky