Advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tommyd401

Original poster
Aug 18, 2017
Originally from RI but transplanted to FL for work. I love to smoke and bought a Masterbuilt John McLemore electric smoker..Here it can rain at drop of hat, so got the electric I can use in the garage. I've made bacon, and smoked all my favorites like ribs, chicken, turkey and steaks. I recently tried Brisket but for some reason, it never blackened? My recipe was to apply rub and cook at 250 for about 4 hrs using a 3.5 lb cut of meat. It was very tasty and moist with a nice Hickory and Apple blend of wood flavor, but I want it to look as good as it tastes with that blackened bark. Does any fellow New Englanders out here have any tips or tricks? GO PATS!

Hi TommyD!

How are you prepared for Irma?  I hope you are not in its path but if you are please be careful!

I've never used an electric smoker but I am guessing its cooking process must be similar to traditional wood/charcoal smokers.

My first observation is that 3.5 lbs is a bit small for a brisket.  Most that I have cooked are at least 10 lbs - I have found that the sweet spot is between 13 and 15 lbs - these yield about 8 to 9 lbs of finished product.  I understand that this is a lot of meat for one or two people but with briskets I beleive that size really does matter!  You just need to invite lots of friends to come help you eat it!  This is why you may not be getting the bark you are looking for since it is not in the smoker long enough to develop a good thick bark.  The recommended cooking time for brisket is 1.5 hours for every pound of raw meat, so even a 3.5 lb cut should cook for at least 5 hours at 250 - with the internal temperature being around 195 degrees when done.  The bark is directly related to the amount of time the meat is sumected to the heat AND smoke.

For me, a brisket is as much about having my buddies drop in over the cooking period to help tend the coals, drink some good bourbon, smoke some cigars and have a good old fashion GLUE session (GLUE - God, Life, the Universe and Everything).

Hope this was helpful!  Let me know how your next one comes out.

Peace!

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, looks like we will be getting hit hard here but downsizing to a Cat3 by that time.. boarding up and buying supplies and beer! Thanks for the tip.. I will try a larger size of brisket next time..was trying to cut down on size since it's just 2 of us and how much we love the leftovers, when work is busy, things tend to sit too long and don't want to freeze such good meat! Will wait for storm to pass and once the neighborhood gets back to normal will smoke a larger brisket and incite the neighbors! Getting ready for Patriots game tonight w smoked wings and my home made bbq sauce!

Good luck with the storm.  A brisket is probably JUST the thing your neighborhood will need to help soften the cleanup efforts after Irma!

I can't believe it's football season already!  Wasn't the 4th of July just yesterday?!

I smoked some chicken wings for the first time this summer.  I've done them twice since then.  I just marinate them in what ever off the shelf wing sauce I have lying around.  Delicious!

No kidding! Time has flown by! I honestly appreciate your advice and concern..i live just between Orlando and Daytona beach about 30 miles from the coast..so expecting the worst but hoping for the best! Made some bacon a few weeks ago and have about 2lbs in freezer...got a cooler ready to go with ice and 2 bags of charcoal for grilling! God bless and smoke on!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky