2013's smoke season gets an upgrade!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tcaptain

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Man I'm fired up!  Bring on the nice(r) weather!

Started smoking last year on an ECB.  Took Paul Kirk's course (thanks to my wonderful wife).

I had some really amazing results for ribs and pork butt (so so on the one chicken I tried, but I'll be back to that).

I spent the winter in withdrawal (mostly lurking the forums).  There's not a lot of options for buying decent smokers up here in Quebec unless you want to order online and pay a ton of shipping (200+ dollars most sites).  

Well friends, the BBQ gods smiled on me and I stumbled on this at my local home depot:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dual-fuel-smoker-gas-charcoal/825657    

I'd been eyeing it all winter but it was always marked "unavailable".   Imagine my surprise when I found it on the shelves!   Right in my budget.

So it's built.  I just need to get the furnace tape for the doors (I've done my research and there are a few posts on this cooker) and an old cast iron pan for the chips.

I can't wait!

I do have a few questions for anyone else who owns this smoker, just wondering...I mean I WILL be experimenting.

- how is it in colder weather?  I'm hoping once I have it clocked I'll be able to use it on propane until late autumn maybe even early winter?

- anyone try to cold smoke something (cheeses? salmon?) in there?  What would the mods be for that?

- the manual says not to use chunks, but many posts about this cooker mention chunks, does it make a big difference? (I've never used chunks)

- do you soak your chips/chunks? for this cooker?

I am SO looking forward to the first pork butt I put in there, and the ribs. 

I spent all summer mastering butts and ribs last year, this year after chatting with my butcher, I'll be trying chicken wings (he's offered me a nice deal).

Can't wait to start smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky