• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Recent content by archeryrob

  1. archeryrob

    2.5 gallons of bear tallow

    From all I have been told bear grease is the best for cooking and pastry making.
  2. archeryrob

    Vinison blend ratio / help processing

    I medium grind vension and stuff into 1# bags for meal cooking and 1.7# bags as 3 + 5# for making 20# batches of various stuff I showed I make. I might fine grind pork and mix with medium ground thawed deer to make sticks or bologna. I find medium grind works best for me for general purpose...
  3. archeryrob

    Vinison blend ratio / help processing

    Not sure why you avoid pork, Junk meat, Jewish, or other, but commercial producers inject it and I do not trust them. I go to a local butcher and I use a Mennonite one. They source from two local Mennonite farmers and all local and all no hormones and no injections of any kind. But beef fat is...
  4. archeryrob

    Vinison blend ratio / help processing

    I process and make all my own stuff. I use pork fat instead of beef fat. Easier to get, more available and cheaper. People buy beef fat for tallow for fryers and raises its price. I used to get it for $.50 a pound and now went up to $.75 a pound. I got some recipes you can use/ review for...
  5. archeryrob

    Whole grains

    Any of you moving to whole grain? I have been currently doing 50/50 whole to bread flour. Recently learned about using ascorbic acid to make wheat rise better. Have to play with that as my 100% loafs were dense. Found a local farmer selling dirty, right of out the combine, wheat. I have three...
  6. archeryrob

    Serrano

    A couple weeks. Indentured servants is all I am looking for. :emoji_wink:
  7. archeryrob

    Serrano

    A regular smoothie type blender. Fermented in 1/2 gallon jars in salt brine until is slowed. I tried using a squitter plastic tipped bottle like a ketchup dispenser and the solids would clog it. I just ended up water batch canning it in pints and cooking with it.
  8. archeryrob

    Serrano

    I tried fermented and could not get the solid to mix with the water. I had pepper paste and clear spicy water. I could not get a solid sauce like a hot sauce.
  9. archeryrob

    Serrano

    I do this with most things. The size of my garden would be cost prohibitive if I did not. If its not Heritage, I am not interested Hickory king white corn, cranberry beans, blue lake beans, Branywine, cherry and amish paste tomatoes, spagetti and butternut squash, Green, jalapeno and not...
  10. archeryrob

    Serrano

    What are you all using them for? I got about 16 plants starting to flower I made a hot/sweet pepper relish with Jalapeno and greens and looking to make it hotter with Serrano. Thinking of drying for use like cayenne for cooking. Maybe other uses.
  11. archeryrob

    Lets See Your Garden

    I was told pigweed is edible, older leave could be like bitter spinach, but I like bitter. Picked some and tossed in chicken coops while not out and they ate all the leaves. I might be able to eat the weeds too.
  12. archeryrob

    the glory in a deer neck

    I have tried neck various ways. Favorite was a marinated tied roast soaking in ACV, oil, garlic and Woster. Fabulous the first night and tough as left overs. Just not a grill meat. Canning it and the tendons and fat all cook out. Good but ruins the liquid if you want to use it. I typically...
  13. archeryrob

    wet aged deer

    Well she might have done him a favor. If she is just a GF, comes over and tosses your stuff out, imagine how she will be when she's got the keys to the kingdom. I'd have given her the WTF do you think you are, speech. My wife did something really stupid when we were dating and learned from the...
  14. archeryrob

    Lets See Your Garden

    The whole garden or just the peppers? I got 64 greens, 32 pablano, 24 Jalapeno and 24 Serrano. Things are growing more now as its been raining again. It was terrible dry last month. Next week will be the July Update.
  15. archeryrob

    Tragedy, reaction and resurrection! any suggestions?

    You might need a damper system and you need a temperature gauge. Maybe two dampers one inlet from charcoal area to control heat into smoker and external on the charcoal box fo if closing the smoker you don't but the charcoal out. If doing sausages and bologna like you want to stay under 180...
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky