WSM 1st overnight brisket, advice please -- Weber Smokey Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
MNG, you wrap to push it through the stall faster - not after the stall. Unless your wrapping to hold it for a couple of hours after it's done.

Chris

Just going off Franklin's book. I'm not wrapping in foil and I don't have a great bark formed yet. He says to wrap after to ensure a nice bark and keep it moist so it doesn't dry out for the final 30 degrees or so.

I won't argue with Franklin. Keep us posted.

Chris

"One thing to remember is this: Don't wrap during the stall. You'll lose all the momentum if you open the lid and take out and wrap the brisket while it's trying to sweat off the last of its moisture. Just like an athlete might find it difficult to cool down and then get back up to full speed in a game, so too with a brisket. Better to let it come out of the stall and then wrap."

With all the research I did prior to this, I was set on wrapping when I hit the stall. Whatever, trial and error!

Temp has went up a few degrees since the 158 but it is still a very very slow climb. Can the temp slowly rise while still in the stall? Can't imagine I'm climbing out already as it has went up 1 degree in 25 minutes?? (It dipped a little when I reinserted the probe)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180922-115613_ThermoWorks BBQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-115613_ThermoWorks BBQ.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just pulled and wrapped. Bark wasnt quite where I wanted it in the middle but hopefully itll keep forming

Attachments

• 20180922_132446.jpg
    20180922_132446.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 64
It looks good to me. How was the texture and taste?

Chris

It looks good to me. How was the texture and taste?

Chris

After just under 12 hours it was at 199° and not rising anymore while I was simultaneously about out of charcoal. Have it resting now for another 30 min or so.

Is it probe tender, if not pop that baby into the oven at 275* until it is. Don't give up just yet.

Chris

Is it probe tender, if not pop that baby into the oven at 275* until it is. Don't give up just yet.

Chris

Well I've had it resting for 30 already and I have a hangry fiance. I'm committed to resting it now, but I've definitely learned a lot regardless of how this turns out

Understandable, I hope it turns out good for all the work you've put into that brisket. Enjoy.

Chris.

Well, I would go 6.5/10. Bark wasnt set which I knew after I wrapped and it could have cooked longer. Was very tender, flavor was great, passed the pull test, but definitely dry in parts.

I'm not pumped but I'm not disappointed either. Glad I trimmed how I did, learned a lot, a good 1st experience.

Attachments

• 20180922_201125.jpg
    20180922_201125.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180922_201505.jpg
    20180922_201505.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: gmc2003
I think it looks real good from my screen. Brisket and especially the flats can be a hard one to cook. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

I think it looks real good from my screen. Brisket and especially the flats can be a hard one to cook. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you. Would keeping the brisket on longer to reach a higher internal temp and have it more "probe tender" also help provide some more juiciness?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky