Would you foil a boston butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh also I have dividers in mine as well. Thanks to my brother who's a journey man welder....hehehe ;-) Just pour in some lit coals (about 10-15) and let it snake around and burn.

If you can get some dividers made ;-)

Last edited:
I was looking at those baskets for an Oklahoma joe from Horizon. The dimension were a little different from mine. I think Horizon was like 12"x13"x10". Mine is 18"x18"x7".

Let me know how thoses dimensions work out for you because the only issue I'm having is holding the ideal 225 degrees where mine even with the intake shut it's at 275 degree.

Not a huge deal but just woundering if I should make a different size basket.

Thanks man,
I certainly will. Horizon sent me a Fed EX tracking number yesterday, and sure enough it shows should be delivered tomorrow ( Fri). He did what he told me he would. The smoke I will be doing will be on Sunday. I am very anxious to try it. I am able to hold a constant 220-230 no problem, my problem is I have to add coals after a couple of hours or so, using the minion method,  and ash buildup in the bottom starting to choke out my fire after about 4-5 hours. I also have a convection plate, coming with it as well. Hope to have a more constant temp across the cooking surface with it.

Don

sometimes i wrap sometimes i don't usually spay with apple cider vinegar and water wrap in foil let sit for .5 to 1 hr. pull and enjoy if I'm going to pull next day put in pan cover with foil at about 150 to 160 cook to 195 drain juices put in frig. over night skim fat of top warm up pour on after pulling

I was looking at those baskets for an Oklahoma joe from Horizon. The dimension were a little different from mine. I think Horizon was like 12"x13"x10". Mine is 18"x18"x7".

Let me know how thoses dimensions work out for you because the only issue I'm having is holding the ideal 225 degrees where mine even with the intake shut it's at 275 degree.

Not a huge deal but just woundering if I should make a different size basket.

Thanks man,
Did my first smoke with the basket yesterday.

The basket worked awesome. I sits about an inch and a half higher, than the fire grate that came with the OKJ.

It is like a 12x13, I put it in where the longer dimension was front to back, so it would sit even a little higher.

Being first time using it, was not sure how many unlit coals to start with for minion method. I poured probably around 6 lbs in there, then lit about 15 in chimney starter. It worked beautifully, temp slowly came up , when it got to 230 I closed the intake damper about 2/3 rd, temp settled in on 226 +/- a couple of degrees, and stayed there pretty much for the next 5 hours or so. At that point I added around 3 more lbs which more than gave me that additional hour.  It was very easy for me to control the temp - however I did seal the lids and put a convection plate in as well.

Next time, I will start with around 8-10 lbs of coals, should give me a nice long burn.

So I can't really attest that the basket itself was why I was able to control temp so well at 226, probably more combination with the other things I did as well.

Did my first smoke with the basket yesterday.
The basket worked awesome. I sits about an inch and a half higher, than the fire grate that came with the OKJ.
It is like a 12x13, I put it in where the longer dimension was front to back, so it would sit even a little higher.

Being first time using it, was not sure how many unlit coals to start with for minion method. I poured probably around 6 lbs in there, then lit about 15 in chimney starter. It worked beautifully, temp slowly came up , when it got to 230 I closed the intake damper about 2/3 rd, temp settled in on 226 +/- a couple of degrees, and stayed there pretty much for the next 5 hours or so. At that point I added around 3 more lbs which more than gave me that additional hour.  It was very easy for me to control the temp - however I did seal the lids and put a convection plate in as well.
Next time, I will start with around 8-10 lbs of coals, should give me a nice long burn.

So I can't really attest that the basket itself was why I was able to control temp so well at 226, probably more combination with the other things I did as well.

Good deal! I told you they work.

That's great you can hold 226 +/-. I'm interested in a picture of the basket. Your basket is smaller, but that might been the key.

At the most, with no wind, the coals in my basket will hold for 7hrs at 275 grate temp. The temp will start to slowly drop after 6hrs to about 225 grate temp.

Your ribs will be a lot easier to cook now ;-)

Last edited:
Good deal! I told you they work.

That's great you can hold 226 +/-. I'm interested in a picture of the basket. Your basket is smaller, but that might been the key.

At the most, with no wind, the coals in my basket will hold for 7hrs at 275 grate temp. The temp will start to slowly drop after 6hrs to about 225 grate temp.

Your ribs will be a lot easier to cook now ;-)
Yes they sure will, thanks!

You can see the basket along with my other mods in the charcoal smokers forum:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147980/modding-my-okj-longhorn-offset-w-qview

Hey, I did the gasket kit. I had to double up on the corners of the lid. Did you have this issue. If so, could you send me a picture to see how you did it.
No I did not.

You can see a pic of mine right after I put the gasket on here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147980/modding-my-okj-longhorn-offset-w-qview

I did however, still have just a little leak around the top 1/4 of each side of the cooking chamber lid - not too bad but the way that lid is curved it left a little gap between it and the felt, just around the very top portion of the sides. It is much better for me though now, so I am pretty pleased with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky