Wood splitting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zakkyc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2022
For stick burner folks: I have a hydraulic wood splitter which does just fine at getting my splits down to appropriate size for my firebox, however I’m considering just your basic standup kindling splitter, the kind you just manually hit the wood with a sledgehammer to split. Yes, the hydraulic splitter requires minimal effort but it’s kind of a pain to bend down to it for 10-20 minutes on end depending on how many splits I’ve gotta do. I feel like I could split the wood faster by hand. Any thoughts from people who have used both and have preferences?

I have not used a splitter for BBQ purposes, but for a pizza oven.
Just used it on larger pieces.
I had a Kindling Cracker, but just used it to make kindling to get fire started in the oven.
Would think using larger size logs in it would require a larger hammer than I had used.
My worry would be damaging the Kindling Cracker with a sledgehammer.
Maybe you are thinking of something different than what I had.

I have not used a splitter for BBQ purposes, but for a pizza oven.
Just used it on larger pieces.
I had a Kindling Cracker, but just used it to make kindling to get fire started in the oven.
Would think using larger size logs in it would require a larger hammer than I had used.
My worry would be damaging the Kindling Cracker with a sledgehammer.
Maybe you are thinking of something different than what I had.
Yeah that’s essentially what I was thinking of. I hadn’t thought of potentially damaging it. I’ve never used one so not sure how much force they can handle!

I've just used a Kindling Cracker but lately I've been using an Estwing Fireside Friend more than the Cracker.

I use a chainsaw to cut the 16" splits in half, get them down to 8" . And then use a 3# mallet and the Fireside Friend to split them.

But I don't do a lot at once. Just enough for the cook I've got going.

I don't have a hydrualic splitter.

Last edited:
I've just used a Kindling Cracker but lately I've been using an Estwick Fireside Friend more than the Cracker.

I use a chainsaw to cut the 16" splits in half, get them down to 8" . And then use a 3# mallet and the Fireside Friend to split them.

But I don't do a lot at once. Just enough for the cook I've got going.

I don't have a hydrualic splitter.
I had been doing the exact same thing except with this...
1700511261262.png

That is until the handle came out of the head. I like the one you posted as it's all forged...

I've got the Kindling Cracker attached to a 12" " stump " . But it won't stay attached. The " stump " is about 4 yo now and its started to rot. I gotta find something better to attach it to.

Reactions: zakkyc
I've got the Kindling Cracker attached to a 12" " stump " . But it won't stay attached. The " stump " is about 4 yo now and its started to rot. I gotta find something better to attach it to.
I made a base for mine out of 2x4's and a plywood top.
But had a cover for it to keep rain & snow off it.
Even had a hole in the top to drop the hammer handle into.

Reactions: JLeonard and zakkyc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky