wood and/or charcoal?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

h0710

Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I am a very new beginner to smoking, but want to learn really bad. I just got an offset smoker (New Braunfels Longhorn). My question is do I smoke with mainly charcoal and just throw a peice of wood on every now and then, and when I do use wood, do I burn it for a while before putting it in the firebox or just put it in straight from the bag? Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to SMF . Get enrolled on the 5 day eCourse as it is great . You most likely will get directed to the newbie page but your question will get answered but you use both . Char lumps for heat and wood for flavoring .

I being a gasser here I have heard that a wood only smoke burns alot hotter then a charcaol fire source does. So it's up to you what temp you want to maintain in your smoker. I like a hotter smoker whan I'm smoking chicken 300-325 or turkeys then I do when I'm smoking beef about 230-240.

My best advice for a beginner with your smoker would be to burn more coal for your heat and add wood for the flavor until you get a feel for it and can almost run the smoker with your eyes closed, then work yourself into using mostly wood with coals as a starter and occasional temperature booster.
I never add wood to my smoker without burning it first, this will not only burn off anything on the outside of the wood but will also loosed your bark and will reduce the white billowing smoke that can come from un-burnt wood.

Using a GOSM big block, I combine RO lump with a few wood chunks. As Fired Up said, you'll get a feel for it,then it's pretty smooth sailing from there on.

Thanks to everybody for the info. I can't wait to start experimenting.

What about letting the wood chips sit in a bucket of water for a few minutes before use?

I hear of some doing that. Whats your thoughts on that?

All the answers are right. Get your therms set up and give it a test run to see where the temps are at.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky