Wisconsin - Loud and Proud!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heidir

Original poster
May 30, 2011
Fort Atkinson, WI
Hello everyone!

I'm Heidi from Wisconsin, and although I've been the designated griller in my family for years, I just recently began to refine my techniques and the types of things I work with.

My one grillin' claim-to-fame is a recipe I developed a bunch of years ago when I won a regional contest for recipes made with Southern Comfort - with my "Soco Ribs" - a Chinese-style rib that, start to finish, takes three days to make the mouth-watering gems - but, oh, so worth it!!!. These ribs have been in high demand ever since I developed the recipe when I was in my late teens - and have been the star of my annual Fourth of July BBQ gatherings for family and friends. I'm a youngish (45 yrs old) Gramma these days, so you can imagine how long I've been making these!

Aside from that, I just love to cook for people. It's my parent's fault, really - they loved to entertain so much they wound up buying a tavern-restaurant in a small town and running it for fifteen years, right up until their retirement in 1992.

Growing up, we had always done our own butchering on the farm - and even after getting into the eats and drinks business, my folks still took the time to make their own sausages; particularly bratwurst, mettwurst and summer sausage. They had us kids helping from as soon as we could put our fists in a giant tub of ground meat and spices and work it up into a tasty treat - so I grew up cooking and enjoying things done by hand. Not much of one for pre-made anything.

My husband, Tim, enjoys my cooking - and really, really loves how much I like to grill and smoke meats and other things. I'm a charcoal/wood lady - I understand why folks use gas grills, but, as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't charcoal and/or wood - it isnt' grilling!

I make the usual things that most backyard bbqr's do, but then I expand my wings a bit - from my Soco Ribs to my latest achievement - smoked grilled pastrami!! (YUM!)

I also was recently diagnosed with diabetes type II - so I have had to be careful and check over and even revamp some of my sauce and rub recipes. (Side Note: Don't use the sweetener stevia in bbq sauce - YUCK!!!!) I also need to be careful with salt and fat, so even though I may be enjoying making all of these yummy things - I may have only a few bites for myself... and am looking for healthier versions of things, as well as the old standards.

Equipment: I use a Char-Broil 30" charcoal grill, 784 sq inch cooking area, porcelain-coated cooking grates, crank-adjustable height fire pan, charcoal access door, 2 folding side shelves, 4 tool hooks, temperature gauge in the cover, slide-out ash tray - can use charcoal or wood chunks. It was my 45th b-day gift from my husband this year, to replace the old, rusted-out barrel grill I'd lovingly cooked to death the year before. I prefer hardwood charcoal and use various wood chips and chunks, and even cook directly with wood chunks from time to time. I don't have any gadgets, aside from a chimney starter and your usual complement of tools and such. 

I am looking forward to getting to know folks - and, I'm even thinking about maybe trying my hand at some competitions - but have a ways to go before I'm ready to do that!

Good Eats!

Heidi Roberts

Welcome to SMF Heidi, glad you joined us! Sounds like you know your way around sausage and the grill and smoker; you should fit in perfectly. Look forward to seeing some of your creations and wouldn't mind hearing your rib recipe if it is something you share? Great to have you with us!

Welcome to our SMF family!  You'll find lots of people here ready to help if need be and always appreciative of all your experience too!

Don't forget the Qview (pics of everything!) simply because we all love to drool!

welcome1.gif
  Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

welcome to the SMF from one Wisconsinite to another....Glad you are hear..now about this rib recipe that takes 3 days...Are you going to share that with us "BBQ Brothers and Sisters"???

Dan

What a warm welcome from all of you! Thanks so much!!

I absolutely will post Qviews of things - just dont' have anything to share right now, but will soon!

As for the Soco Ribs recipe - hmmmmmmmmm... I'll have to think about that. ~
biggrin.gif
~ Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Many of our members have years of experience in smoking meat.  They are more than happy helping Newbies learn the art.

We have members who cure there own Bacon, Hams, Jerky, Snack Sticks, Make Their own Sausage, etc. if you want to learn,
this is the place. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions of them and follow their advice. You won't be sorry, you will be making great Q in no time at all...

Just remember, when curing your own meats follow the instructions included with the cure to the letter, this is not something to experiment with.  

Never use more cure no mater if it is Tender Quick or Cure #1 or Cure #2 than the manufacturer says to use, this can be very dangerous.

Tender Quick and Cure#1 or Cure #2 are not interchangeable, neither Cure #1 interchangeable with Cure #2 or vise versa

Tips For New Members.
  1. Go into your profile and Under Location put where you are.
  2. City & State or Area & State will do. This will help members when answering your questions.
  3. Go to ROLL CALL thread and tell us a little about Yourself (A Name We Can Call You) and Experience & Equipment.
  4. Do Not Post  your other questions and smokes in the Roll Call Forum.
  5. Post your questions and smokes in the Proper Forum, Beef, Pork, Sausage, Electric Smoker, Charcoal Smoker etc.
  6. Use the Wiki Section, many of our members have posted great tutorials and instructional threads so take advantage of them.
  7. When you can't find an answer ask plenty of questions, we have some highly experienced members willing to help you.
  8. When posting about your smokes be sure to post plenty of Qview (Pictures) Our Moto, "No Pics, Didn't Happen".
  9. Get a good Probe Thermometer, Don't Depend on the Built in Thermometer in your Smoker (They are notorious for being off).
  10. A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732
  11. Remember, We Always Cook by Temperature and NOT BY TIME...
  12. Sign up for Jeff's 5-Day eCourse.  Click Here
  13. Don't Take Chances, Always Follow USDA Safety Guidelines When Handling Meat.

14. If you are wanting to get into curing meat, there are many members here more than happy to help and give good advice.

15. If you are unsure of a procedure ASK, don't ASSUME, It will make your Smoking experience much more pleasant...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky