Wieners

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by boykjo, Jan 24, 2012.

1. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Well, took my first whack at some wieners..... Boy do I have a lot to learn.....DanMcG enspired me with his smoked wieners with his post....  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105244/wiener-makin       I changed a few things by adding less salt and using a pork shoulder and I didnt have fresh sheep casing..... This is what Happened..... LOL

ground some butt... broke out the Armstrong grinder.... she misses me

[​IMG]

Made up the mix

[​IMG]

All mixed up and re ran the meat through the food processor to emulsify

[​IMG]

showing off my sausage tubes I made for my stuffer.......

[​IMG]

Didn't have sheep casings so I went with 38mm hog casings

Stuffed and in the fridge to dry out the casings a bit

[​IMG]

Well here's a bump in the road.. I dont have more pics downloaded to the computer from the camera because my son took my chord.... The Playstation 3 uses the same chord to charge his controller. He will be back soon for the finish pics.......

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Can't wait to see the final on this one!

Those emulsified sausages can be a pain in the ....

Good luck and good smoking.

3. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Can't go wrong with Dan's wieners. [​IMG]

4. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]so far [​IMG][​IMG]  the results

5. boykjo

Got my chord to download some more pictures

Cold smoked the wieners for 3 hrs. in my offset with maple in the amnps.... Looks like the dogs didnt get a nice color but the did get a smokey flavor

[​IMG]

par boiled... water temp at 180 to wieners to 160 then into an ice bath......

[​IMG]

I'll post some grilled pics tomorrow. Dans wieners makes my wieners look like &^%*$&....  They are good but I am looking for a different  flavor... I really like dietz and watson hot dogs.... more of what I am looking for.......

Joe

6. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sweet Joe, I hope ya like them, But I've always found that you can take the exact same recipe and stuff it into a different casing and it will taste totally different. Looking forward to what you think of them in 38's

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those look good Joe. I would give those a try in a heartbeat. This just got moved up the list to do

8. boykjo

Just ordered some sheep casings from Butcher&packer. Think i am hooked on making these hot dogs.... going into experiment mode

Joe

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now your dogs look pretty darn good to me. Now the casings might make a difference. I guess you need to keep trying and prefect your dogs. Not a bad thing in some of our eyes.

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They sure look good to me Joe! When you get the recipe the way you want it I hope you post it, because I'd like to give it a try too.

11. ldrus

ldrus Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

got details on how you made the tubes????

12. boykjo

I get a 2 inch tri clover cap and bore it on a lathe the size the sanitary tubing I want and make it a press fit. Press the tube in the cap and weld. then I turn down the base to the size needed to fit the stuffer

[​IMG]

Joe

13. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Those look great...so do the tubes...

14. Those look good...hubby don't like hot dogs but I'll bet he'd eat those. Thanks for the info on the tubes too

15. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

Those look great!

I'm ordering sheep casings this morning. This is something I really want to try!

16. large casing weiners? kinda your version of Knockwurst!

Looks good!

using what you have creatively is an art in itself!

17. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

You beat me to it BC, I was going to say, Big Fat hot dogs are Knockwurst...Some Braised Red Cabbage, Spaetzle and Mustard...YUM!...JJ

18. gersus

gersus Smoking Fanatic

I bet those "real" hotdogs are gonna be great. Can't wait to hear your take on 'em though. 

The tubes are super awesome! Wish I had access to stainless welding wire...

19. johnnie walker

johnnie walker Smoking Fanatic

Joe, those dogs look good to me! [​IMG]  I could go for a big fat knockwurst about now.[​IMG]

20. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I always wanted to try and make some footlong hot dogs. ,buns for those are hard to find in my area.[​IMG]