Who here has a Char-Griller AKORN Auto Kamado?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I searched and am not seeing anything, this looks like something I have to get. Watched a YT video where the guy did a runtime test with 2 chimneys of lump at 225 and it went for 38 hours with maybe enough left for another day. I'm pretty sure 2 chimneys (5lb?) of lump in my Gravity 560 wouldn't be enough to do a rack of 3-2-1 ribs lol. It has less cooking area but it's not what I'd call small, enough space for my anywho. I don't own any other charcoal grill, but I understand gravity's are about as inefficient as you can get. The thought of being able to do 3 different pork butt cooks in a PID charcoal smoker using only 5lbs of lump sounds beyond awesome.

- here's the video (How long can I cook with 2 chimneys of charcoal? Char-Griller AKORN Auto-Kamado)

just watched a couple of videos, very interesting looking grill! Would also like to here from somebody who has tried one out.

just watched a couple of videos, very interesting looking grill! Would also like to here from somebody who has tried one out.

I watched a bunch of cook videos on it and a few overviews, looks like a pretty nice unit, especially considering the price. And if my So Cal public school education math's accurate, it's maybe 6x as fuel efficient as my Masterbuilt. I bought an 8 lb bag of charcoal. I just made burgers and corn, and put the slides back in right when I was done to stop the fire. It still used probably half the bag. I watched a video where a guy cooked a pork butt, then did a few more cooks and still had enough lump left to do a rack of ribs. And that was a single chimney of lump. A single chimney in my MB would probably get it up to temp and give me an hour of cooking lol.

it does look like an amazingly efficient and super insulated grill. in the videos that i watched the auto temp control with the fan looked to work well too

That looks interesting. At 314 Square inches it's a bit small. My math says that's a 19" grate.

That looks interesting. At 314 Square inches it's a bit small. My math says that's a 19" grate

Even with the 2nd rack it's definitely still on the smaller side for sure. But it's big enough for a 17lb brisket, and could do maybe 3 racks of ribs. So it's big enough for most of my cooks. And the thought of a 10lb bag of lump being able to do 10 briskets is pretty damn insane. That same bag isn't finishing 1 brisket on my Gravity 560. They might make a 22" version which would be a lot bigger, and still way more efficient than the 980 or a Gravity.

Also one of the videos I watched he commented on how the fire burns out almost instantly when you shut it down. I know my MB keeps going for 45 minutes and ends up using even more charcoal. I just looked up the Char-Griller app on both iOS and Android. and it's got a much lower rating than Masterbuilts, which is kind of scary lol.

I was unable to use any of the other smokers I had bought. Fire too hot, fire too cold stuff. Bought an Akorn at Lowes for $300 and it has lasted me ten years. I keep it out of the rain of course as if it gets wet it will have issues eventually. It’s metal not ceramic.

The grate is 19 3/4” in diameter, cast iron, and if it breaks you will probably never find a replacement. They will sell you a replacement but it is almost as much as a new grill. Just be very careful not to let it fall like mine did. A piece broke off and I live with that. The second level thingie is OK I guess. You can put two racks on the lower and drape one over the top and do three racks. With a rib rack thingie you might get four in there. I roll them into balls and get three on there easily. Not for large crowds.

There are lots of modifications people have done to these units. Most are useless attempts to tighten the sealing of the unit. It does not need to be any tighter than it comes. It works well with some small leaks here and there. I use a stainless steel colander as an ash bucket. That works the charm. I put my lump in that, light part of it with a torch, and set it inside and let the cooker bring it all up to temp. No need to use a chimney unless you are grilling on it, and need hot coals right away, which I never do. Just light some of the charcoal and let the air flow do the work.

I bought a PID thingie and it can maintain 225 for at least 16 hours and still have some charcoal left in the colander. I take that thing out, shake it, and add more when ready for next cook. This keeps the inside pretty much free of powdery dust. You can clean it easily enough without the colander but I would suggest using it. Of course you can just dump lump down into the bottom and skip the colander, but I see no advantage to doing that. A super long cook maybe.

Mine has fallen over a couple of times and was no worse for wear. If it had been ceramic it would have been a disaster. The wheel caught just so and over it went.

The idea behind these are that you enjoy complete control over air flow. This was so easy for me that I got it first try. The lower vent works in coordination with the upper and you can dial in temps very easily. There are several ways of doing this. Both open just a tad. Both open a bunch. One open more than the other can also produce nice results. Experimentation is needed of course. Unlike a ceramic unit, if you accidentally overshoot, it will cool back down quickly without postponing everything for several hours waiting. It will operate at 200 degrees but any lower and you are probably going to snuff out the fire. I mean you might could do it, but I haven’t really tried.

Because there is very little air flow through these, there is less drying out of the meat. No need for water bowls and such. I have read complaints that it does not offer a smokey enough flavor, but I have no such complaint. I get good smoke rings and flavors. I have even used coconut charcoal for a more delicate flavor when smoking fish. If you enjoy a heavy smoky flavor I could understand you being somewhat disappointed. It doesn’t dump harsh smoke the entire time. I get a nice blue wispy smoke after it has come up to temp.

I bought a Weber grate, 16” I think, and it fit down inside onto the interior flanges beautifully. There I can lay a pizza stone on top for a deflector. This works really well. Of course just about anything can be used as a deflector. Also, I bought a set of Grill Grates and trimmed the edges to fit inside a round bowl and they work well. These can be used for grilling steaks and such down inside the unit.

The seal around the rim has held up nicely, but I don’t do hot cooks. Pizza making would probably shorten the lifespan and require a replacement. Easy enough. Mine did catch on fire when the grease built up. That booger got flat out hot. Speaking of which, there is a great habit to develop. Burping. When you go to open the unit, lift the lid slightly, then open it all the way. People have reported face flamage episodes when lifting quickly to look at progress. Just know it is possible that this might happen. Burp it.

I think you will enjoy the unit overall. It is very quick and easy to get started. Produces consistently reliable results. Lasts a good long while if kept dry. Cost has remained steady for ten years at $300. They sell more expensive Akorns but I am not really keen on what makes them more expensive. Like I said the PID works great, but you don’t really need it. It sends poofs of air inside occasionally to keep the charcoal at temp. Adjusting the vents does the same thing, just not intermittent air.

If you think this style is for you, maybe you should look into some of the ceramic units. Komado Joes are super expensive as are the Big Green Eggs. China is sending over cheaper units now days and some look to be pretty nice. Primo makes a nice oval shaped unit that better fits ribs, but their top of the line is easily $2,000. Still keep in mind that these things are likely to last a lifetime, and if that’s your life, well maybe you deserve something nice. Some cost $6000 ( Komodo Dragon) and up and are designed to last several lifetimes. Works of art actually, that sit in your yard rain or shine because they weigh so much. You should at least look at some of them before buying anything. Lots of options, non as inexpensive as the Akorn though. Komado Joe came out with a $500 kettle cooker thingie. I examined one at Lowes and it is metal with a ceramic firebox.. Big Deal. I went from excited to blah as soon as I looked under the hood.

I mean I cannot promise that you will like cooking on one of these, but I sure do. Hard for me to dump a large amount of cash into an expensive unit when I still have my Akorn. Now should that wheel catch just so again……hmmmmmmm.

Reactions: dr k
I was unable to use any of the other smokers I had bought. Fire too hot, fire too cold stuff. Bought an Akorn at Lowes for $300 and it has lasted me ten years. I keep it out of the rain of course as if it gets wet it will have issues eventually. It’s metal not ceramic.

The grate is 19 3/4” in diameter, cast iron, and if it breaks you will probably never find a replacement. They will sell you a replacement but it is almost as much as a new grill. Just be very careful not to let it fall like mine did. A piece broke off and I live with that. The second level thingie is OK I guess. You can put two racks on the lower and drape one over the top and do three racks. With a rib rack thingie you might get four in there. I roll them into balls and get three on there easily. Not for large crowds.

There are lots of modifications people have done to these units. Most are useless attempts to tighten the sealing of the unit. It does not need to be any tighter than it comes. It works well with some small leaks here and there. I use a stainless steel colander as an ash bucket. That works the charm. I put my lump in that, light part of it with a torch, and set it inside and let the cooker bring it all up to temp. No need to use a chimney unless you are grilling on it, and need hot coals right away, which I never do. Just light some of the charcoal and let the air flow do the work.

I bought a PID thingie and it can maintain 225 for at least 16 hours and still have some charcoal left in the colander. I take that thing out, shake it, and add more when ready for next cook. This keeps the inside pretty much free of powdery dust. You can clean it easily enough without the colander but I would suggest using it. Of course you can just dump lump down into the bottom and skip the colander, but I see no advantage to doing that. A super long cook maybe.

Mine has fallen over a couple of times and was no worse for wear. If it had been ceramic it would have been a disaster. The wheel caught just so and over it went.

The idea behind these are that you enjoy complete control over air flow. This was so easy for me that I got it first try. The lower vent works in coordination with the upper and you can dial in temps very easily. There are several ways of doing this. Both open just a tad. Both open a bunch. One open more than the other can also produce nice results. Experimentation is needed of course. Unlike a ceramic unit, if you accidentally overshoot, it will cool back down quickly without postponing everything for several hours waiting. It will operate at 200 degrees but any lower and you are probably going to snuff out the fire. I mean you might could do it, but I haven’t really tried.

Because there is very little air flow through these, there is less drying out of the meat. No need for water bowls and such. I have read complaints that it does not offer a smokey enough flavor, but I have no such complaint. I get good smoke rings and flavors. I have even used coconut charcoal for a more delicate flavor when smoking fish. If you enjoy a heavy smoky flavor I could understand you being somewhat disappointed. It doesn’t dump harsh smoke the entire time. I get a nice blue wispy smoke after it has come up to temp.

I bought a Weber grate, 16” I think, and it fit down inside onto the interior flanges beautifully. There I can lay a pizza stone on top for a deflector. This works really well. Of course just about anything can be used as a deflector. Also, I bought a set of Grill Grates and trimmed the edges to fit inside a round bowl and they work well. These can be used for grilling steaks and such down inside the unit.

The seal around the rim has held up nicely, but I don’t do hot cooks. Pizza making would probably shorten the lifespan and require a replacement. Easy enough. Mine did catch on fire when the grease built up. That booger got flat out hot. Speaking of which, there is a great habit to develop. Burping. When you go to open the unit, lift the lid slightly, then open it all the way. People have reported face flamage episodes when lifting quickly to look at progress. Just know it is possible that this might happen. Burp it.

I think you will enjoy the unit overall. It is very quick and easy to get started. Produces consistently reliable results. Lasts a good long while if kept dry. Cost has remained steady for ten years at $300. They sell more expensive Akorns but I am not really keen on what makes them more expensive. Like I said the PID works great, but you don’t really need it. It sends poofs of air inside occasionally to keep the charcoal at temp. Adjusting the vents does the same thing, just not intermittent air.

If you think this style is for you, maybe you should look into some of the ceramic units. Komado Joes are super expensive as are the Big Green Eggs. China is sending over cheaper units now days and some look to be pretty nice. Primo makes a nice oval shaped unit that better fits ribs, but their top of the line is easily $2,000. Still keep in mind that these things are likely to last a lifetime, and if that’s your life, well maybe you deserve something nice. Some cost $6000 ( Komodo Dragon) and up and are designed to last several lifetimes. Works of art actually, that sit in your yard rain or shine because they weigh so much. You should at least look at some of them before buying anything. Lots of options, non as inexpensive as the Akorn though. Komado Joe came out with a $500 kettle cooker thingie. I examined one at Lowes and it is metal with a ceramic firebox.. Big Deal. I went from excited to blah as soon as I looked under the hood.

I mean I cannot promise that you will like cooking on one of these, but I sure do. Hard for me to dump a large amount of cash into an expensive unit when I still have my Akorn. Now should that wheel catch just so again……hmmmmmmm.
I got my Big Red Akorn 10+ years ago when it was $248.00 at Menards and has been great ever since uncovered under a grill gazebo. I did unscrew the lower vent and middle screw and put a bead of RTV silicone around the ash pan opening and put both screws back. The 17" weber kettle coal grate for the 22" weber grill works great fror holding a pizza stone on the three tabs for indirect cooking with a drip pan on it. Most my grilling is on that elevated grate and great for searing right under the cast iron food grate. Nice large removable ash pan.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Dr. K's gotcha.

I've owned an Akorn for 10 years or better. The early ones needed some mods to "fine tune" air intake, but if you light a small hot fire and catch temps on the way up it works very well.

I use a snake method most often with mine. I have smoked a full packer, (about 15 LB's if I recollect it right). With air flow mods and careful attention, it is a very controllable unit.

(Three briquette snake 3/4' of the way around the perimeter of the coal grate = at least 8 hours at 225*).

I have stated many times, and stand by it, that the Akorn is the best "Bang for the Buck" cooker I have personal experience with.

Having said all that; I will ad that they are very susceptible to rusting away to nothing. I am fortunate in having a dry barn to keep mine in. (Don't keep it out on the patio with a vinyl cover over it! Recipe for rust).

Is it as good as a top line ceramic? Probably not but you could buy 5 or 6 for the price of a big green egg?

No brainer.
DSC02113.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard and dr k
I searched and am not seeing anything, this looks like something I have to get. Watched a YT video where the guy did a runtime test with 2 chimneys of lump at 225 and it went for 38 hours with maybe enough left for another day. I'm pretty sure 2 chimneys (5lb?) of lump in my Gravity 560 wouldn't be enough to do a rack of 3-2-1 ribs lol. It has less cooking area but it's not what I'd call small, enough space for my anywho. I don't own any other charcoal grill, but I understand gravity's are about as inefficient as you can get. The thought of being able to do 3 different pork butt cooks in a PID charcoal smoker using only 5lbs of lump sounds beyond awesome.

- here's the video (How long can I cook with 2 chimneys of charcoal? Char-Griller AKORN Auto-Kamado)

I ordered one from Home Depot and not all the screws on the hinge holding top to body would work. I emailed Char-griller as they refuse to take phone calls. It took over a week for a new body to arrive, again 3 out of 4 screws would go in but the 4th would not turn in the threads, they were placed badly.

i wrote them again, 3 days later they responded they don’t want to help me unless i video tape myself trying to screw it together!

so i called Home Depot, they sent UPS to pick it up and refunded my money….

BUT i then bought another from Walmart on sale for $224!! A Char-Griller Auto-Kamado at half price! They delivered it the next day, it was packed much better and everything went together PERFECTLY.

ONE thing about it i do not like, the wifi will not work with newer routers, only older ones and bluetooth doesn’t reach from my yard to living room.

i love this grill. But don’t count on their customer service and don’t pay $498!! Walmart has them half price! At $224 it’s a steal.

Reactions: 912smoker
always great to find a bargain and half off is a pretty good one! keep us updated on how it works for you.
Gonna be a few days before i can use it again thanks to Tropical Storm/Hurricane Ian but as soon as it clears up i’ve got a couple racks of ribs ready to go.

stay safe and hopefully it's effects are not to bad for you.
Thanks, i’m south east of the storm we are just inconvenienced with a few days of constant rain and mild flooding. I hope the Gulf coast gets through this okay,

You can get replacement grates on Amazon that are wire racks rather than cast iron. I'm not a fan of the cast iron grate anyway and typically use the upper deck which is made of stainless steel.

As far as cheap heat deflectors go, I bought an 18" pizza pan and place it on top of an empty water pan from another smoker. It all fits under the main cooking grate perfectly.

Not using an Acorn but loaded up my KJCII this past Sunday at 7:00AM for a 225 cook & by Monday morning 11:00 AM I took out the food & opened up the air flow half way to burn things off. By 6:00 PM the cooker was still holding 400 degrees. I'm sure if I wanted to hold 225 it would have went until Tuesday morning so it's not an abnormality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky