Which smoker would you recommend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyldgecko

Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Portland, Orygun
Say you had $100 to spend on your first smoker.

What would you buy?

My wife bought me the Brinkmann All-in-One and I am really turned off by the complete lack of control that I would have if I opted to use the charcoal. So after talking to the wife and making sure she knew she "Did Good" and that she was ok with me returning it if I decided on a different one I am asking for the opinion of the Smoking Guru's (That'd be you guys).

You mentioned you were turned off by the lack of control if using charcoal. Are you looking for a propane, or electric only smoker, or was it the design of the unit itself that would make charcoal smoking less appealing?

If the latter is true, then continue reading.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

First off, brace yourself, as I'm sure you will get several opinions on this. Folks here tend to do just as good a smoke on an ECB, as on a professional rig. My opinion, is if the missus can be persuaded to increase yer budget, I'd possibly look into getting something along the lines of a Chargriller smokin pro http://www.chargriller.com/openimage...6.jpg&loaded=1

You can get these or something similar around 200. When I first got into smokin, (which was not too long ago BTW) the wife was ok with me spending 200.

I, of course figured a cheaper unit would do just as well, and went with a 7n1 vertical smoker. It didn't take long for me to realize I should have just went with the one I got to replace it with. Nothing wrong with the unit itself, but it was too much a headache for me. I found the chargriller much easier to work with.

Good luck!

For a little more than $100, I'd one of the small offsets like CharGriller Smokin Pro, or Brinkman Smoke N Pit. Both are good smokers, and, with proper care, will last a long time. Both can also be used for grilling, and have plenty of grill space.

Ok an Addendum then ... Say you had $100 ... and you can't build one because that has to go on the bottom of the list of the other projects that are on your honey do list.

Besides my overall goal is to find something to learn on, once I get good find out what I like and dislike and then build my own.

GOSM I enjoy mine

I'd watch craigslist for a used wsm or one of the others mentioned above. There are some that are good to learn on and the ECBs seem popular, but under $100 is tough.........like with everything it seems these days $100 don't go far.

Another Addendum ... or clarification if you will.

By lack of control I mean that the All-in-One has no air control when you use Charcoal. You have a charcoal pan at the bottom with slits that both let ash drop and provide air to the coals ... however there is no way to control air flow. What you see is what you get. There is no venting at the top except for the lose fitting lid. I like having alot of control over things. I plan on keeping a smoke journal and take notes of air venting positioning, amount of fuel used, pieces and sizes of woods, etc.

Everything ive learned about smoking ive learned from these forums and trial and error so maybe im my opinion is void by default but what ive learned is, if you want the cheapest with great results the ecb(with small mods) is best but its size has its limits when it comes to bulking up the sessions. For a little more money(about 50 bucks) and an additional 50-100 bucks for mods(you dont need to neccesarily make immediately, the ones that are immediate are relatively inexpensive) go with one of the smaller offsets like the silver smoker or the chargriller equivelent. These allow you more flexability and ecellent results. When you have the extra money and want to buy a toy then you go with propane or electric.

If you have a Cummins tool by you I got a New Braunfels
Hondo offset horizontal for $109.
Got it mothers day weekend (for my wife, um, yeah that's my story and I'm stickin to it).
It's been full every weekend since, and has put out some awesome Q.

Then it seems like your frustrations are similar to mine. I too did not care for the set up, having to strip it down to gain access to the coals. The coals were hard to access from the access door, given the small clearance between the water pan and the charcoal pan. And speaking of the charcoal pan, yes mine also had the 3 slits to provide "airflow". Didn't take long to clog up with ash.

Since this is your main concern, then do yourself a favor, look at getting a horizontal offset setup, and spend a bit more. The convenience would be well worth the price. Open firebox door, dump coals, and shut it. It'll make your life alot easier. Spend once pay less.

You might consider the MECO 5031 h2o model. Not much in the way of control except to say add more hot coals to raise the temp. It does have to its credit 2 doors on the front,1) to add water thru and 2)to add white ashed charcoal to your fire without taking the lid off. Makes really good Q. But make no mistake it is a cheap unit. Under $100 on amazon. Thats what you get for $100 these days. I have recently checked on craigslist for smokers in my area and have found both gas and electric vertical smoker for way less than $100. Decent units but used,nothing wrong with that. Check it out dude.

I am new to smoking and have a brinkmann smoke-n-pit and love it, When I get better and more into it I may upgrade, But for the 138.00 it cost it's great

For a little more, I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker that has a electronic thermostat to control the temp. It is basically a small refrigerator turned into a smoker. And I can cook 4 or more racks of ribs or a couple of medium briskets with no problem and really control the time and temp to get the perfect finished meat.

I have had great success with the MES, except for a few defects like leaking door gaskets and the chip loader. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help you get around some of that. Also where did you get at? If at Sam's Go back and get the 3 year extended warranty for 39 dollars, a great deal.

Good luck!
Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky