What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I worked for the same company in the graphic arts field for almost 25 years, I retired 5 years ago. Today

I spend my time helping take care of my 4 and 5 year old granddaughters. 

I'm a production machine tool operator for an engineering firm in Shedfield England. I've noticed the majority of you guys are from the states, is there anyone else in here from the UK ?

My name is Gary
I have a ornamental iron shop and fab rails gates and stainless steel work. Also have a forgre and do hand forging. Boating is a hobbie. And have a old Datsun roadster we play with.

Me too. No more Newspaper Sports, Weddings or Little League Photography. Moving on to landscape-nature photography also. Maybe back out to your state again in the future Red Dog. Planning a trip to Maine, Vermont and New York for this next Fall.

If you do try to get over here to Central Oregon in the Bend area. Lots of great landscape and wildlife opportunities.

I work in the machine shop/mold shop at one of the largest plastic factories in the world. chances are you own something that we made.

Journeyman machinist for 33 years, retired.  Started with a company that had some really old machine tools (during my apprenticeship I ran a gear cutter that was built during the civil war).  Made mining and smelting equipment for 12 years, some parts weighing more than 50 tons.  When that company closed, I moved to a company that designs and builds high precision, state of the art machinery for extruding aluminum cans and printing the labels on them.  I retired from there 8 years ago.

Why are there so few women around here?? I'm a manager for a large company that offers property management software, websites and other services to property management and real estate companies. I manage a group of writers who provide content (as in we write the bs you read when you visit the website) for property management websites. And I do it all remotely from home. I've never even visited the corporate offices. So I can, cook, smoke, knit, crochet and anything else I want to do while working. Life is good. 

Why are there so few women around here?? I'm a manager for a large company that offers property management software, websites and other services to property management and real estate companies. I manage a group of writers who provide content (as in we write the bs you read when you visit the website) for property management websites. And I do it all remotely from home. I've never even visited the corporate offices. So I can, cook, smoke, knit, crochet and anything else I want to do while working. Life is good. 

Welcome. Not sure why there are not more women around here. Sounds like a great gig you have.

Last edited:
I am currently a Chef for Main Event! I've been the restaurant industry for 30 years or so. Look forward to sharing/learning from fellow piers!!!

I work part time for a local fire dept & also part time for an EMS service as an EMT Basic.

I am also going to nursing school. I start the 2nd level of 4 levels next week...I am so ready to get that over with!
Guess I can update this now... I did make it through the hell of nursing clinicals and am now working as an RN in a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we see the worst of the worst. When something bad happens, they bring or fly you to us! Over the 3 years I have been there, I have seen some pretty major trauma!

I am also still working part time (very part time) for the FD and EMS. Would much rather be out in the field, but the money just isn't there! I know money isn't everything, but it sure makes life easier! Especially since I work 12 hours shifts as an RN, I only work 14 days per month leaving plenty of free time!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky