What size vacuum sealer for brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcbigler

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 1, 2015
Chouteau, OK
Hey all, wondering what size and type of vacuum sealer I need for fully smoke brisket? Starting off with around 15 to 16 lbs, figure at least 3 lbs of fat trimmed off. How big of a vacuum sealer does one need to seal up a fully smoke largish brisket? And what type of bags are best for sealing and then freezing?

I don't intend to reheat in the bag, will likely reheat in the oven. What's the recommendation?

Thanks,

I use the Foodsaver pleated bags for large stuff with a regular 12” seal bar, here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer-Airtight-Storage/dp/B00851QSDO

Otherwise you need a 15” seal bar machine and 15” bags.

The link I posted are bags that expand to close to 15” wide but then pleat back down to 11” for sealing on a regular seal machine. You have to use a little extra length to allow for the pleat and enough length to seal but just like having a 15” bag but sealed with a 12” machine.

Last edited:
Hey all, wondering what size and type of vacuum sealer I need for fully smoke brisket? Starting off with around 15 to 16 lbs, figure at least 3 lbs of fat trimmed off. How big of a vacuum sealer does one need to seal up a fully smoke largish brisket? And what type of bags are best for sealing and then freezing?

I don't intend to reheat in the bag, will likely reheat in the oven. What's the recommendation?

Thanks,
A vac sealer with a 15inch+ sealing bar.

Get the 15inch roll (15 inch x 50 ft or something like that) and you can cut a length of bag off the roll long enough to fit your brisket in length wise.
Use the vac sealer's seal function to seal one end of the bag. Put the brisket in (best to do it when it's cold, like been sitting in the fridge over night). Then just vac seal it.

I've done this with my Weston Pro-2100 vac sealer. So telling you from experience. You might have to trim a little on the side of the brisket to get it to fit but no big deal, it's not much.

Having done this before, I have learned it's better to just slice the brisket and then grab enough slices at once, with tongs. Then vac seal those slices. Also best to do when the brisket has cooled off a bit but not needed to be cooled in a fridge. Just enough where it's not juicing all over. I do it in pre cut 8in x 12in bags. It's so much easier, faster, and less expensive in bag cost to use these bags vs cutting off a roll.

Why is it better to vac seal sizes instead of a whole brisket, you ask??? :D
It's better because reheating a whole brisket takes a good chunk of time.
Reheating sliced brisket is sooooooooo much faster. Usually because you can do it in smaller amounts AND its easier for heat to get into the slices.
Also the sliced brisket heats up easily in chaffing dishes, the oven, crock pots, etc.

I hope this info helps :D

Reactions: Lonzinomaker
What about a chamber style, I use one now, and can never go back to those vac bags. Anyone find one that can handle a full uncut brisket?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky