What internal temp do I need?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lintonkennels

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Salesville Ohio
I am going to do a couple beer can chickens and was wondering what internal temp sould I bring them up to and also what temp would you guys set the smoker to. I am also doing a rack of spare ribs.

Pork 140*, Chicken 160* Let them rest and the temps will rise, Hallelujah!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

I cook chicken until aboout 170 in the thighs.. Or until the thighs are done by the fist test..
Make a soft fist and touch that little muscle between your thumb and the index finger knuckle. Raw chicken feels like that. Tighten the fist as if you are holding a broom or sovel vertically. Poke that muscle again. Almost done chicken feels like that. This is the type of doneness that makes women tilt thier heads sideways and poke at the meat while asking, " is this chicken done
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
?"
Now tighten the fist like your holding a heavy metal rod. Poke muscle. This is done chicken that nobody will complain about.
Fist trick works for beef steaks also... rare, med rare and ruined..

Yea I usually take mine to are 165-170. I usually run my ribs around 225 but if you are doing chicken at the same time maybe raise that up to around 250-275. I always do the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 for my ribs.

165-170 for chickens, definitely 170 for a Turkey in the breast area, big difference on ribs how your cooking them and the turn out, if not foiling and just que'ing i go to 170's and then plaster with the BBQ sauce and pull before 180 still juicy and something to sink you teeth into and not so tender you dont need teeth. :-)

the info is misleading here, grilling and smoking in the same phrase.

Beer can chicken or BCC is done this way: on a grill
21454907.jpg

By null
along with a rack of ribs on the side, so the info givin to us will determan the response givin back to you. keeping grilling and smoking seperate will help alot in the responce that you need to help you in what your cooking.

you can but you wont get the heat as you would from a grill to boil the bear in the can, if that makes any sence
tongue.gif
doing the same in a smoker your just smoking a chicken, in that sence you using a BCC rack i a smoker not on a grill, a grill your using a higher direct heat then in a smoker, do you understand now? theres a big difference in grilling and smoking, and i dont mean to offend you in any way, please forgive if i have,

If my smoker temp is above 220F, then any liquid I put in there will want to evaporate... Hence the reason I season my water pan.. get it?
Now put that little chicken in a vert smoker with a beer can under it and smoke at 295- 325 F and I'll bet that beer can chicken thing will work.

I just don't think it has to be done on a grill.

you have a valid question here, that boils down to the diference between a chicken cooked on a gril and a chicken thats smoked in a smoker. very good topic and giv you points for this topic
points.gif

may i ask what your cooking this chicken on or in and indulge us in helping others in the same ordeal cooking a chickin.

Chicken in MES, most MES owners on SMF are cooking their chickens at 270-275º. Most are pulling around 170º +/- 5 deg. For me the chicken isn't done until I can twist that drum stick and it wants to come off.

Beer can chicken was a simple way to keep Chicken moist on a hot grill, not a smoker. Since you already have a water pan working, the beer can isn't necessary. However it is a way to get some other flavors into the meat, and some MES owners still go with the beer can.

Most MES owner have issues with the chewy skin, it isn't crisp, so they remove it. I do a lot of chicken but most of it isn't in the MES, for whole birds I use the Weber Kettle indirect, and the birds come out perfect, juicy and completely cooked through. For fast pieces I will throw them in the MES for about 45 min, then finish on the gas grill to get the skin char we all like.
I have wanted to experiment with skinless in the MES but haven't bothered yet.

Really there should be no real difference in the finished product be it on the grill or in the smoker, IF the smoker is capable of reaching higher heat settings that will crisp the skin. (325º+) If not the skin will be rubbery. As to using the smoker, the chicken can be done and kept moist with out a can of whatever stuffed up its butt.
Personally I have seen little benefit to adding seasonings to the water pan or the difference from using a beer over using Dr. Pepper in the can. Also the water pan adds very little moisture to your meat. That's not the reason it is there. You will also see very little evaporation from the can after your smoke or grilling is done. Maybe more from the grill if you are doing more direct heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky