What are "Chitterlings"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So far I have not seen much I would not at least try. Heard stories about Goat being nasty. A few months ago my oldest got married. The reception was at a Pakistani restaurant. I looked over the menu and figured I would try the Goat Karahi as it would be the last opportunity for some time...IT WAS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE BEST MEALS I EVER HAD! Blood sausage like Kishka, love it. Beef Heart is very good prepared like Pot Roast. Calves Liver sauteed medium with cumin, peppers onions and tomato is great and nothing like the chalky cooked to death Liver and onions mom tried to force us to eat. Give the unusal a try....JJ

Hog killin" day in South Alabama was a family affair, was the first cool day in the fall. First one I remember was in 1955 at my Grandpa's  house. Daddy and his brother did the killin', a 22 shot between the eyes. A black iron pot was boiling water, a 55 gallon drum was angled in the ground and filled with hot water for scalding the hog so the hair would turn loose. Grandpa and his brother-in-law did the guttin'. The "women folk" cleaned the casings by pouring hot water thru them and scraping with a knife. They would turn them poop side out and scrape again until clean and clear. Grandma mixed the sausage, don't remember who did the grindin' and stuffin'. Ham's, sausage, and bacon went in the smokehouse. I never acquired a taste for souse meat, too dang greasy, but I did come to like brains and eggs. Grandpa told me the only things they threw out was the hair and the squeal. Hog killin" day is one of my fondest childhood memories. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky