Weber Kettle Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is the new charcoal basket fired up with 15 live coals in preparation for a long burn with my Weber 22.5:

Cooking with the lower vent closed and the lid vent open 3/4 - an 11 hour burn was no problem. The water in the bowl was bubbling and collecting fat from the meat above it, which turned the liquid a caramel color. I removed the meat after 11 hours and snuffed the remaining coals by shutting down the lid vent. The coals only burned a little over half way around in 11 hours, though I had this newly designed charcoal basket filled to the brim with charcoal briquets and some mesquite wood chunks mixed in. Next time I won't need to fill it to the brim with fuel. Thanks for all of the tips and the motivation to design a better charcoal grate!!!

That's pretty nifty....what did you cook over that bowl?  Was is good eats?  I don't see how a butt or brisket would fair too well when the coal burnt around to a point where they are under direct heat.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was my concern as well. Cool design! It certainly looks like you licked the long, slow burn problem, but I think I'd stop the coals about halfway around. You always want to keep your meat indirect of the heat.

Last edited:
Heck, I still use my Atlanta Stove Works BBQ for smok'n but have wanted to purchase a Weber Kettle.  With one of your baskets maybe now's the time!  Maybe another metal "partition" that is adjustable to keep fuel to one side and backed up to the stationary one.  With a little practice one may be able to make a good estimate of fuel:burn time.

This idea may be better than the "Pet Rocks"!  How much for one? 
icon14.gif
  (Just kidding, think my neighbor has a welder)

Last edited:
Here is what the charcoal basket looked like when cleaning up the next morning. I simply had closed the kettle lid vent (the bottom vent was already closed during cooking) after I had removed the meat:

I did add about 1 inch of water to the water bowl after the first 5 hours when I checked on things after we came back home from a long drive in the convertible around the lakes, and the water bowl ended up with around a half inch of caramel colored fat floating on top of the water! BTW, the snuffed charcoals can be used for our next BBQ.

Anyone want a used Smokenator? I have had good results with the fire bricks and have no need for the Smokenator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky