Weber Chimney mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Hawaii
Just wondering if anyone has added a smaller expanded metal circle to their Weber Chimney. I was tired of small lump falling through the existing grate. I got a piece
IMG_4742.jpeg
of stainless steel expanded metal from work and cut it to fit the chimney. It is working great and thought I would throw it out here in case anyone was as frustrated as I was with loosing small stuff out of the bottom. I just forced it in there and it works perfect.

Last edited:
How did you attach it?
I just traced it from the bottom of the Chimney. Then I used a grinder with a cutoff disc and cut it. Then I just pushed it down inside with my hand. It is big enough that it just wedged itself nice and tight. Not sure I could get it out by hand if I tried. It works perfect though. Had the idea but wasn't sure how it would workout and am pleased with the results!

Just wondering if anyone has added a smaller expanded metal circle to their Weber Chimney.
I just did major surgery on mine , because I'm to cheap to spend 50 bucks on a new one . Bottom was burned out and the rivets that hold it together were gone .
I got rid of the cone all together , but reused the outer ring to hold the Security mesh in place . I did it with stuff I had in the shop . Works way better than the original design that's for sure .
20220409_202439.jpg
16 gauge security mesh .
20220411_110319.jpg
Works way better than the cone design .
20220411_192423.jpg

I just did major surgery on mine , because I'm to cheap to spend 50 bucks on a new one . Bottom was burned out and the rivets that hold it together were gone .
I got rid of the cone all together , but reused the outer ring to hold the Security mesh in place . I did it with stuff I had in the shop . Works way better than the original design that's for sure .
View attachment 668829
16 gauge security mesh .
View attachment 668830
Works way better than the cone design .
View attachment 668831
Nice!! I like that!! Yeah good to save $$$

Reactions: chopsaw
I lkie the idea. While I don't use lump, I am a notorious tightwad and it's not unusual for me to relight left over from the last cook. Those coals can get a bit crumbly and fall thru even though they started out plenty big. Need to give this a shot

I lkie the idea. While I don't use lump, I am a notorious tightwad and it's not unusual for me to relight left over from the last cook. Those coals can get a bit crumbly and fall thru even though they started out plenty big. Need to give this a shot
Haha, yeah I try to reuse every bit I can!! No sense dumping usable fuel!!

Great idea and yep i've been known to reuse charcoal mixed in with fresh. This does save some of those little pieces that are still good.

Jim

I too reuse my old coals, I just put some new ones in first then add largest old ones and finish with the smaller ones.

Reactions: bill1 and JLeonard
Couple years ago I bought an Okie Joe chimney. It was pricey as chimney's go at about $30, but I think its better than the Weber I've used for 20 years.

It already has a smaller mesh grate. It has more air flow which I think speeds up the ignition of the coals. And it has larger capacity.

I don't know if it will last as long as the Weber, but I like it.

20230628_084319.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky