wait just a minion !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gorillagrilla

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
San Fransisco bay area
o.k. , Ihave read a bunch on the minion method both here and elsewhere. Does this not go against everything we have learned or been taught about the proper way to burn charcoal ? Very curious and open to new idea's , but I know that I dont want that heavy black smoke that comes from my chimeney when new coals are catching on my food !
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

the minion method is a way to stretch out the charcoal for a longer more even heat.. as the burning coals burn they are heating up the other to a combustable temp so there is no black smoke as the unlit lump ignites. i use this method in my MECO bullit and i can get a full smoke out of one load of coal

Yeah , I understand the reason it is used , but when I want to ad coals ( lump or otherwise ), I put a few lit coals from the firebox in the bottom of the chiminey and unlit on top of that.BIG black smoke !! Are you saying that the unlit in the firebox is getin kinda super-heated before cumbustion and therfore no smoke ?

GG, I've used the minion on everything I've smoked that took more than 5 hours. Most of the times my Bullet will get 12-14 hours out of a single load of charcoal w/o me adding more when I minion the thing.

In all that time I've never noticed any off-flavors or other 'strangeness' at all. Just sweet sweet Q coming out of the smoker.

:)

G.G..........it like in my sfb smoker.......i put the wood i am going to use next on top of the side fire box.......i have found the wood ignites quicker/easier by doing it this way...........so yeah........as you was saying, it must be reheating

all i know..........you prob. have over a 1000 members here.....doing it the minion method for years........and no complaints

o.k. I may have to give it a try.Being more of a fire - tender by nature, I kinda like sittin out by the smoker and tendin the fire. but sometimes the weather aint so great ( o.k.,,, california and it mostly is great )but sometimes ma needs ya to run an errand NOW. would be nice to just be able to leave it.
But you still should not add raw lump or coal right outa the bag ,right ? Cause its not preheated , is that correct ?

i have........and never experienced this BLACK smoke you talk about........that part corn-fused me from the start........it just sits there......and finally catches fire......least here in Iowa

I have the same issue. I have not tried the minion, because like you I don't mind tending. But in retrospect... it IS only charcoal and not wood. So it's much "cleaner" out of the gate.

Not sure what you men Gorilla, been doing this quite awhile, what is the proper way to burn charcoal??
If you've read my drum posts, i burn about 10 lbs of charcoal in a basket that lasts me about 12 hrs with little adjustment, but that pile of coal is started with 15 briquettes.........am i doing something wrong???
confused.gif

icon_smile.gif
No , BQB , I doubt you are doing anything wrong !! If the food is good then obviosly not .I was always told that you let the coals ash over 'for puttin food on, from grillin to smoken , lots of different explanations givin . I have a feeling this stems from the assumption you are gonna use lighter fluid ( nasty ) and should let it burn off or sumpin .Richtee is right , I think the coals themselves are clean enough if your not squirtin chemicals all over em !
Definatly not puttin this method down. Will give it a shot for sure .Just curious and want to learn. Thanks for everyones input !

we all start our charchol with chimneys..........no fire starter fluid used here..........should be banned if used.......imho

I don't use chacol or lump in my wood burner, so i'm kinda lost.but will play catch up if i get a WSM.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky