Vortex wings on the 26 Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I foil around the vortex when grilling wings. I redo this about every 2nd or 3rd cook. Not only does it keep the bottom of the Kettle clean, it redirects air flow right up through the bottom of the vortex.

I'd like to find a way to make this easier. I searched for large pizza pans that I could cut the center out but never found one that was even large enough for 22 Kettle, much less the 26.

I've thought about just covering charcoal grate, but that doesn't provide a large enough area, especially on cook like today when I'm gonna load it up with poppers and wings.

It would be much easier to have a piece of aluminum that I could cover with foil, then lay it in there and put the vortex on it. Any ideas ?

20231217_110550.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I have one of these . Bought it at Academy sports , but don't think they carry it anymore .
Fits in a 22" Weber at the charcoal grate level . You can get them from Amazon or Old Smokey .

I foil around the vortex when grilling wings. I redo this about every 2nd or 3rd cook. Not only does it keep the bottom of the Kettle clean, it redirects air flow right up through the bottom of the vortex.

I'd like to find a way to make this easier. I searched for large pizza pans that I could cut the center out but never found one that was even large enough for 22 Kettle, much less the 26.

I've thought about just covering charcoal grate, but that doesn't provide a large enough area, especially on cook like today when I'm gonna load it up with poppers and wings.

It would be much easier to have a piece of aluminum that I could cover with foil, then lay it in there and put the vortex on it. Any ideas ?

View attachment 683618

Have you considered fabricating something? Off the top of my head, something like some flashing, or other very thin gauge metal, that you could cut out the the size you need. If it's flexible enough, you could form it in the shape needed, and cut a vortex-sized hole in the middle

Red

Have you considered fabricating something? Off the top of my head, something like some flashing, or other very thin gauge metal, that you could cut out the the size you need. If it's flexible enough, you could form it in the shape needed, and cut a vortex-sized hole in the middle

Red

That may be the direction I'm headed.

I did not take pics of the wings on the Kettle, this will have to do. The ABT's are still there , however, I'm not much on taking pics of my food, too busy getting ready to eat.

20231217_170400.jpg

20231217_170405.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky