Vortex Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Yesterday I fired up the Weber using the vortex for a nice ribeye I'd thawed out. I hit my steaks with S&P before they go into the vac-seal freezer bag so they'll be set to go straight into the sous vide pot
DSCN1798.JPG

I decided it was time to try the 360 air fryer, kept it real simple with a baked yam, shrooms sautéed in butter and asparagus slathered in mayo to round things out
DSCN1799.JPG

I was scrambling around and didn't get any pics of the cook, sorry. I had the probe of my TP20 in the center of my 1&1/2" thick steak and the vortex filled with a chimney of red hot coals. Placed it off to the side of the vortex until the IT was 115º, then pulled the probe and gave it a 60 second sear on each side right over the vortex. Lesson learned, that thing get super hot! After a 10 minute rest while I was assembling the rest of the meal slicing revealed it got just a shade more well done than I desired. Next time I'll have a CI skillet and some butter for the vortex sear.
DSCN1800.JPG

The yam buttered up nice and now I have at least some idea as to how long a tater will take on the 360, gonna be a learning curve with that thing. Smothered the ribeye with the shrooms and poured a glass of decent cab, dinner was on.
DSCN1801.JPG

For learning how to play with a couple of new toys things came out OK and will only get better, weighed the same this morning as I did yesterday. Today will be a rack of St Louis ribs on the Weber utilizing the Slow-n-Sear, more time for better pics. Thanks for lookin' in. RAY

Delicious looking plate of food Ray. Nice steak and more mushrooms, the better!

What was the lesson learned? Did you grab the probe with your bare hands? I’m guilty of that on occasion, guess I haven’t learned either because I’ve done it more than once.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice cook Ray . I've gone to cast Iron for the sear on SV steaks .
That 360 cooks stuff in short time , especially if the fans on .
Nice work !

Looks good from here Ray!

Thanks Rich, I thoroughly enjoyed that dinner and it didn't fatten me up any! RAY

Looks great Ray! Especially like all the shrooms piled on that steak. Robert will be happy to hear you finally unpacked your 360 LOL

Thanks John, sometimes it just nice to smother a ribeye in shrooms and onions, shake it up a bit! Robert keeps his 360 in his pantry, mine could end up there too, I need to find more uses for it.RAY

Delicious looking plate of food Ray. Nice steak and more mushrooms, the better! What was the lesson learned? Did you grab the probe with your bare hands? I’m guilty of that on occasion, guess I haven’t learned either because I’ve done it more than once.

The lesson learned was to put a little CI skillet over the vortex, throw in some butter and sear in the pan. I've always seared with the coals on just the bottom of the grate for about 60 seconds a side. The vortex kicks the temp up to about 1,000º and the result was a ribeye a hair more well done than what I wanted. Thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Man that looks tasty. Nice job.

Thanks O ozzz , t'was pretty good, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Nice cook Ray . I've gone to cast Iron for the sear on SV steaks . That 360 cooks stuff in short time , especially if the fans on . Nice work !

I'll still use my weed torch for sous vide searing Rich, I pulled it to sear at 115º and the vortex gets so darned hot the IT shot past my goal of straight rare. The 360 does cook fast and at least now I know I can bake a tater on it, there's a lot to learn. Thank you for the like Rich, much appreciated. RAY

Excellent!!! Beautiful Plate!! Nice Job, Ray!
Like. Bear

Thanks John, at least I finally put something in the air fryer, and it only took a month! Thank you for the Like too, I do appreciate it. RAY

Way to break in the new toy...
Meal looks good, nice job! LIKE John

It was a little nerve wracking using two different tools I don't yet have much experience with John, there was a lesson learned there also, one at a time works better for me. I usually never feel pressured or rushed during a cook but when not positive I what I was doing it wasn't all that relaxing. Some slow cooked ribs and a few RR's today will get things back on track. Thanks for the Like my amigo, I do appreciate it. RAY

That's a fine looking plate Ray.

Thank you Jim, and thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Awesome meal not all things finish as we like. Warren

Thank you Warren, I'm a little more relaxed and confident with the rack of St Louis ribs I just put on the Weber with the SnS. Longer cooks mean more beers! Thank you for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Even with the steak maybe getting away from you just a bit, that's one darned fine looking meal right there Ray!! If it looks that great for a miscue and a learning experience, I can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it dialed in!! Great job sir.

Robert

Meal looks really good Ray. When I sear steaks with the Vortex I flip it so the wide side is pointing up. That will give you more searing area and a little less heat. Again nice job.

Point for sure
Chris

Even with the steak maybe getting away from you just a bit, that's one darned fine looking meal right there Ray!! If it looks that great for a miscue and a learning experience, I can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it dialed in!! Great job sir. Robert

Thank you Robert, it was pretty darned close. I was looking for something in the 126º range for a finished IT and looking at first slice I could tell it was more like 133º-135º. One of the highlights of the hobby, little errors can still taste pretty darned good. Thanks for the LIke Robert, much appreciated. RAY

Meal looks really good Ray. When I sear steaks with the Vortex I flip it so the wide side is pointing up. That will give you more searing area and a little less heat. Again nice job. Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! In hindsight I'd have done that entire cook wide side up, the vortex is proving out to be quite the useful tool. Thanks for the Like Chris, I do appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky