Very sad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graphicsman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Nashville, TN
I am very sad about my experience the other day. A buddy of mine and i were visiting a client and ran by what appeared to be a good sign on a mom and pop BBQ joint. The time was about 12:30, the smoker out front was going and it smelled wonderful. We walked in and to our surprise not a sole insight. I was at first not noticing this because of my hi hopes of some awesome BBQ. Looked at the wall and noticed he had pics of his BBQ. All pics looked decent and immediately my heart was set on some ribs. Asked the man, you do spares or baby's?? He said spares all the way, and said they were the best I will ever have. I said shoot me some spares and my friend ordered his food, too. Waited around 10 mins and out comes our food. Noticed the ribs were foil wrapped and thought, ok, cool I guess. Opened them up, smelled decent. Immediately put my fork in them, overdone... Horrible, lifted up the ribs from the foil and nothing but juices at the bottom, so bad I could fill my glass!! And these were a half rack!! Also no smoke taste!! They tasted as if they had been in the oven. When I flipped them over, I also saw grill marks on one side. So so sad.. I see now why his place was dead. I tried my friends pork and it was bland. The man had the tools, and fell short. Purpose of this was just to vent, don't think you can open a BBQ joint if you don't know what you are doing, please!! Cause now I have a serious craving for some good ribs..

Thanks for hearing my rant.

Dang that always sucks when you expecting good stuff and get crap.

Sorry to say but...Empty at 12:30? That was your Q to EXIT!...JJ

So,when can we expect some Qview of your ribs?  You got a craving, seems like it's time to fire up the smoker and get some satisfaction!

Eating BBQ at a restaurant, for me, is like eating fish at a restaurant.  I am always careful when ordering these two items from a restaurant.  It's just never the same quality as what I or my family can do.  However, there are exceptions as I have places that I will go to for ribs and fish. 

Eating BBQ at a restaurant, for me, is like eating fish at a restaurant.  I am always careful when ordering these two items from a restaurant.  It's just never the same quality as what I or my family can do.  However, there are exceptions as I have places that I will go to for ribs and fish. 

Always a bad thing.  Recently I was visiting a friend on Long Island and she says " Let's go to this GREAT BBO place and have ribs for dinner".  She went on to heap praise on this place about their food, etc. all the toime we were driving there.  Place was reasonably busy, so we decided to try 2 different styles of ribs.  I insisted on the sauce on the side as I wanted to actually taste the meat.  All I can say is if them New Yorkers think that is good Q then they best stay away from the North West.  Those ribs had NO flavor, NO smoke, nothing.   When she asked what I thought, I told her she needs to come visit and learn what good Q really is. 

icon_cool.gif

I'm sorry for your bad experience with this BBQ restaurant but..... You have to think about the idea of smoking ribs and other meats and keeping it hot and juicy to. Now when we smoke and serve our meats you are getting the meat at about the best time to be eaten. I to have gone into a few BBQ Joints and was really disappointed to. There are a very few bbq places that I would go into mainly 2 one in Jax, FL an the other in NYC yes Manhattan. That place had better beef ribs then I have made.

So,when can we expect some Qview of your ribs?  You got a craving, seems like it's time to fire up the smoker and get some satisfaction!
I wish I had the time, currently all my time is finishing up my bachelors which i graduate in a couple months and all my time getting this print/sign company launched is killing.  I still try to find time for my family, especially my daughter.  That being said, smoking is set to the side for now.  Which is one reason you guys dont see me much on here for now.  

icon_cool.gif

I'm sorry for your bad experience with this BBQ restaurant but..... You have to think about the idea of smoking ribs and other meats and keeping it hot and juicy to. Now when we smoke and serve our meats you are getting the meat at about the best time to be eaten. I to have gone into a few BBQ Joints and was really disappointed to. There are a very few bbq places that I would go into mainly 2 one in Jax, FL an the other in NYC yes Manhattan. That place had better beef ribs then I have made.
I can agree but these ribs had no smoke, way over done, no decent sauce, and drowning in fluid.  

Thats sad!

I work in downtown Toledo Ohio and I am lucky enough to have a BBQ place right next to me. Its pretty darned good. The guy who runs it also does concession stands at fairs. So who knows if it will be open during the summer. Or for how much longer, as there usually isnt many people in his place. Its sad, because the food is usually good. One time I had tough overdone rubs. Rest of time good!

Out with solaryellow (Joel) on sat at Lexington BBQ......Sorry to hear you had a bad Q joint

This place was packed and a line.

Smoker smokin away.

346505cf_apc.jpg

d330e0a2_vru.jpg

HEAR HEAR   X2

I hate to tell you how many times that has happened to me, as I like to occasionally check out the "competiton". Most of the time I come away disappointed with a lack of smoke flavor, although I have never been in the South. I'm sure there're more great BBQ places down there than you could count.

The one exception here, was a hole-in-the-wall place in Everett, WA, called "Heavy's BBQ". It is closed now, I'm not sure why. It was run by a wonderful couple who really knew BBQ and down-home service. I still remember their peach cobbler. It had just a hint of smoke to it; just enough to let you know where you were. Whereever they are now, I wish them the best. They let me know just how good BBQ can taste, and are probably one of the reasons I smoke now myself.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky