vacuum sealers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I see we have a new sponsor, but didn't want to jump in with a new sponsor and possibly be considered an ass (common for me). I just grabbed a "pouch" of my special pizza sauce and threw it in the sink with warm water.
returned to find a bag of my precious sauce 1/2 full of water. I use a seal-a-meal that's old enough i don't remember which marriage it was from. don't know if it's the sealer or the bags. It sucks good and seems to seal for freezer purposes, but would not trust it for SV cooking. did my due diligence and did a food vacuum search here.
All of the results involved our new sponsor. So i wanted to ask what Y'all are using?
My rules: not paying $250 for something i might use 3 times a year for sauce. must not use "their brand" bags only.
Prefer one that doesn't require using the roll bags, which is difficult for me with one functional hand.
Typically anything that plugs into a wall I buy from brick and mortar so I have someone's ass to stick it up if it doesn't work.
If I'm being unrealistic on finding an affordable unit that works with more than Amazon warranty, I'll shut up and buy some mason jars
I know Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq has one, but my support luck with them has been spotty.

thanks
john

I don't think you have to use "their bags only " in any of them. I have used numerous different brands. That being said, I'm still using an old food saver 2440 ( discontinued) but also have Vacmaster 360. Has a wider seal, but not totally impressed. Give it an OK...

I have a auto food saver and love it, no more holding the bag pull the bar down and push the button, simply insert the bag it clamps and starts the vacuum. it came with a 5 year warranty and think its 8 years or so now, I lost track as to how many deer I have processed plus normal duties around here ,I would buy another if I needed 1

I have two FoodSaver GameSaver Silver's.
One is used pretty much weekly.
Use both when we do large quantities (mainly Hatch chilies).
Had a gasket get a rip in one. Simple replacement.
That was the only issue I've had.
Used bags from several different places.
Used to get the 50' rolls off Amazon, but they are junk.
All wrinkled once you get in the last 1/3 of the roll.
Started buying bags from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited.
They work great.

I also have an auto FoodSaver V3425. Have had it for ~10 years at this point and it sees regular use. I got it at Wal-Fart, not sure if they sell this one anymore though. No issues as long as you keep it clean. Also have the jar accessory which is nice for storing dry goods in jars or speeding up a fridge pickle.

Used foods foodsaver bags when I got it, but last time I needed bags got them from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. I like them much better. They are textured on one side and are much easier to get all the air out. They also sell pre-made bags, not just rolls.

Food saver here too. I work it to death with 3-10 deer a year, piles of ducks , some geese and a bunch of fish. Had one just quit within a year and a call to the company had a new one on the way (after a few tests and emailing pics). I like that kind of customer service.
Timber

With the sauces you make. I'm surprised you don't have a chamber sealer. But the cost/usage ratio probably wouldn't make sense.
I have the inkbird one. Does a good job. Though, I usually double seal to be sure.
I also have a Lem maxvac 500. Which is a very good machine.

I have a Foodsaver FM5480 auto. It works but I'm not a big fan. Its slow and at times finicky. I am looking at chamber sealers Vacuum Sealers Unlimited has the small Vac Master for almost half price. I've a also looked at some on amazon. I'm also interested what others are using.

With the sauces you make. I'm surprised you don't have a chamber sealer. But the cost/usage ratio probably wouldn't make sense.
I have the inkbird one. Does a good job. Though, I usually double seal to be sure.
I also have a Lem maxvac 500. Which is a very good machine.
just browsed containers today. not exactly affordable. for us the bags are more freezer compact. typically we only seal 8 oz of sauc. sometimes a cup. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

I see we have a new sponsor, but didn't want to jump in with a new sponsor and possibly be considered an ass (common for me). I just grabbed a "pouch" of my special pizza sauce and threw it in the sink with warm water.
returned to find a bag of my precious sauce 1/2 full of water. I use a seal-a-meal that's old enough i don't remember which marriage it was from. don't know if it's the sealer or the bags. It sucks good and seems to seal for freezer purposes, but would not trust it for SV cooking. did my due diligence and did a food vacuum search here.
All of the results involved our new sponsor. So i wanted to ask what Y'all are using?
My rules: not paying $250 for something i might use 3 times a year for sauce. must not use "their brand" bags only.
Prefer one that doesn't require using the roll bags, which is difficult for me with one functional hand.
Typically anything that plugs into a wall I buy from brick and mortar so I have someone's ass to stick it up if it doesn't work.
If I'm being unrealistic on finding an affordable unit that works with more than Amazon warranty, I'll shut up and buy some mason jars
I know Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq has one, but my support luck with them has been spotty.

thanks
john

just received the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq version 2. did my first Sunday morning suck job. Time will tell, but it was a good suck and seal. now to see if my old amazon bags were the issue. I hear there's a good bag source here on the forum.

I have a Foodsaver FM5480 auto. It works but I'm not a big fan. Its slow and at times finicky. I am looking at chamber sealers Vacuum Sealers Unlimited has the small Vac Master for almost half price. I've a also looked at some on amazon. I'm also interested what others are using.
If you have any questions call Lisa at VSU. Good person to talk to.

Reactions: lisa b
I have the Nesco VS-12. It works very well. I use "generic" bags from Amazon, which work well. I use it way more than I thought I would when I bought it -- Pizza sauce; pizza dough; leftover smoked meat; fresh fish; riblets from trimming St. Louis ribs, etc., anything you might want to freeze will freeze better in a sealed bag.

I bought the sealer to use with my sous vide cooker, and of course I use it for that, too.

I use the Inkbird. I won't buy another. First one lasted less than a year. They warrantied it out and gave me a new one, but I have learned that a double seal is best. I have maybe 1.5/10 single seals fail, and 15% is a lot IMO - but this is my first vac sealer so maybe a 15% fail rate is normal.... and it's been consistent over both units.

I do use the generic bags from Big Daddy Bezos online flea market.

I have maybe 1.5/10 single seals fail, and 15% is a lot IMO - but this is my first vac sealer so maybe a 15% fail rate is normal.... and it's been consistent over both units.
In my opinion that is a LOT! I get maybe 2 per 100. Could be the bags you are using though.

Reactions: okiwen
Have a vacmaster 380 which they don't make anymore and is out of your price point and bought an Inkbird on sale for like $28 just for small jobs. Works great and wife likes it for it's size and weight. Use mostly 3 mil vacmaster bags we buy locally and have no troubles with it.

Ryan

Reactions: okiwen
I am looking to buy a vacuum sealer as a stop gap until VacMaster releases their “new and improved” model. I hope they don’t screw it up by cutting corners and making a plastic/aluminum piece. I loved my Pro350 (sad face). I’d buy another one used if I found it.

suggestions? I’d rather support a company that deserves it over a FoodSaver.

Last edited:
Reactions: LhornR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky