Update from Masterbuilt regarding the new propane smokers

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by cmayna, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Here's a dialog between them and I during the past 36 hours.  I think it says enough.....
    Code:
    Subject: New propane smoker #20050312Do you know of a retailer that has this smoker in stock?  My zip code is9xxxx.  I would also buy from an internet retailer.
    Code:
    Good Afternoon,The product is sold on a demand basis so some retailers will have it in stock where as others may not. Please check with your local Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sam's and Home Depot.Regards,Masterbuilt Customer Service
    is sold?
    Code:
    Has this new smoker been on the market very long?Sent from my iPhone
    Code:
    Hello, This unit is one of propane smokers which just hit the market. Please let us know if you have any further questions.Regards,Masterbuilt Customer Service
    Code:
    Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:24 AMTo: customerserviceSubject: Re: New propane smoker #20050312What is the MSRP?ThanksCraig
    Code:
    Good Morning,As of right now we do not have a suggested price since it has not been picked up yet.Regards,Regards,Masterbuilt Customer Service
    WTF?   No suggested MSRP????
    Code:
    To: customerserviceSubject: Re: New propane smoker #20050312I do appreciate the prompt replies.  So are you saying that you have notshipped any of these new smokers yet?BestCraig
    Code:
    Good Morning,That is correct. As of right now they have not been shipped out yet.Regards,Masterbuilt Customer Service
    So there ya go!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. How can it have just hit the market but yet none have been shipped? I contacted them a couple months ago and they told me it wouldn't be available until late winter, early spring. Man I am confused now.

3. Is this the new one with the regulating temp? I'm pretty excited about having that ability added to what is already a great smoker. But it almost looks like a unicorn at this point :(

4. cmayna

Yes, it's the new series with the thermostat regulator.  At this point I don't think I'll wait around for it but will probably settle on one of their current ones and modify the regulator as needed.  argh!

5. kryinggame

kryinggame Smoking Fanatic

Personally, I'll never buy another Masterbuilt product ever again. I have the MES and I use it weekly but their products are sometimeish. Sometimes, they're great, sometimes they're not. I wish I would have went with a WSM.

Sorry about hijacking this thread

6. I wouldn't really cross shop or compare an electric smoker vs a charcoal smoker to be honest. My masterbuilt gasser has been absolutely great after a few minor mods, and only after that. I'm not sure why they come from the factory with such a small water pan and a worthless chip pan. I'm sure the electric ones need a few minor mods as well. A guy I work with has one and it seems to be hit or miss as far as getting good smoke, but he only uses pellets now.

7. That means it will come out about 2 weeks or so after you settle on the xl :lol:. I'm really curious to see what they cost, I'm guessing around $300, I cant see it less than $250 at any rate.

8. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I think they will be the only self regulating gasser on the market. They can charge anything they want and it will be in demand. If it was out a year ago I would have had a really hard time choosing between the Gasser and the MES40 I have...JJ

9. That's the one I'm holding out for but with the increased price in the re-designed MES 30 and 40, I'm thinking it's going to be right up there. 

10. cmayna

All this waiting for a regulated gasser and what if it bombs?  Hmmmmm

11. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wonder why they just didn't say they have not shipped yet instead of that cryptic line of responses?

12. As long as the basic parts are there, I'm pretty sure the internet can make it better if need be [​IMG]

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Am I interpreting this correctly ??  The new smoker has a modulating gas valve that is thermostatically regulated ???  WOW...  That would be epic... 

14. mike johnson

mike johnson Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

That would be great!!

15. dward51

dward51 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cut and paste excerpt from the 2013 Masterbuilt catalog link posted in this forum (click on the image for a larger easier to read version).  Should have two models and the 40" is stainless front.  Both say "direct import" which I take it to mean someone has to order them before they build them and they are direct shipped to the vendor.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  16. I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if there has ever been any more info on these smokers or was the idea scrapped by Masterbuilt? I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for one of these to show up in a store [​IMG]   Its hard to buy my 3rd smoker when I cant find it anywhere!

Thanks