UDS Weber Lid Mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey guys, those UDS rigs are nice. I've been starring at my unfinished UDS for months now and no motivation to finish.

Quit staring at the thing and go ask it out!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Not sure cromag, but a die grinder or a hand held grinder with a cut off wheel will slice it right off. An air nibbler would work pretty good as well. I'm not sure if a good pair of tin snips would work or not.

Hi Dave...I just built a UDS and used the lid that came with the barrel for the first few smokes.....it worked great, and sealed up nicely..but i wanted more room and a rotisserie..so I did the weber grill mod...I cut the ring off the top of a weber grill and welded it into the top of my UDS...I welded, so the ring would stay "in round" and not be pulled outta round with bolts.  it worked great, and the lid fits on nicely...BUT.....the lid lets out ALOT more smoke and doesn't seal as nicely as the 55gallon drum lid...I am kinda disappointed in that......besides the 3 vent holes on top of the lid, it seems there is alot of smoke that escapes around the lid where it sits on the drum.  I had pretty high temps because of this I think.  Highest I've seen yet outta my UDS..I think I hit 295F  with all intakes closed yesterday and she was smoking up a storm.

Have you found anything to seal the lid to drum connection tighter??  I am thinking maybe a ring of rubber or silicone around the inside of the lid, and maybe 3 "lid lockdowns. of some sort, to pull the lid down tight.

Any thoughts

Dan

Have you found anything to seal the lid to drum connection tighter??  I am thinking maybe a ring of rubber or silicone around the inside of the lid, and maybe 3 "lid lockdowns. of some sort, to pull the lid down tight.
I have that issue to a certain extent but I just rotate the lid until I found a spot to where it sits pretty flat and doesn't rock.  It's not perfect and I get some air in through there too, I am sure.

I thought about using some woodstove door gasket on the ring or on the inside lip of the lid but have never pursued it.

Dave

I thought about using some woodstove door gasket on the ring or on the inside lip of the lid but have never pursued it.

Dave
That's what I used...I got fireplace gasket rope that is found at hardware stores and used the glue that came with it to seal it around the weber ring before screwing the ring to the drum top. My ring is round after tightening the bolts because the rope prevents the ring from bending

cromag...we aren't talking about the ring portion that you mount inside the drum...we are talking about how well the LID actually seals..or in this case DOESN'T seal onto the newly installed weber grill ring.  I though the lid, since it's made to fit that ring...it would be a good tight fit..but mine let's smoke out all around it.

Dan

Dan, I picked up some of the firedoor rope like what Dave talked about. Westlake hardware has it by the foot, at least near me they do any ways. They also have the high temp silicon sealer to glue the rope with. I have had really bad luck with the cement that they sell with the rope kits, it sets up like concrete.

You are talking about where the lid sits on the rim, like tongue and groove, correct?

Tom...yes the seal between the Weber lid "groove" and the tongue or top edge of the grill..leaks smoke all the way around pretty much...ok..not all the way, but at least 1/2 way in different spots.  So yes it is where the lid sit on the rim just like a tongue and groove.

Dan

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky