UDS question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ricardo Galindo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
Leon Valley Texas
Hello All I’m new to this forum and found y’all as I was searching information on building a UDS
I’m sure I know the answer but here goes my question. A friend gave me a 55gallon drum that recently had automotive PRIMER in it. Wants to build a UDS, I told him he needed a food grade drum but is insistent that a good burn will burn out the primer that was in the drum.
The drum has a Hasmat decal on it!! I am using this forum as proof at being a bad idea.
Thanks in Advance

Once you burn it out at say 800-1300 deg. F, and you remove all the ash and other nasty stuff, when you cook with it at 70-350 deg. F, there shouldn't be anything will be emitted from what's left in the drum....
The ash ect. MUST be removed... It could contain heavy metals and other stuff that is not good to consume... That can be accomplished with a wire wheel on a grinder of sorts.... Wear a respirator and eye protection....
FWIW, there are businesses that sell new barrels on the internet... If you have concerns, that could be a way to go..
Also, you can purchase new steel and have it rolled into a tube and weld it to new steel discs to make your own drum at a size you like...
There is nothing that should get in your way when you want to provide safe food for your family...

Reactions: JC in GB
what does the hazmat decal numbers say?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky