Turkey Jerky in the WSM

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by dstickel, Nov 1, 2013.

1. I've got an 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain and I'm thinking of making some turkey jerky. I have a few questions:

-Can I use both racks to hang jerky from? Or just the top rack?

-Will I be able to do the entire thing in the smoker or will I need to use a dehydrator?

-What's a good indicator for when it's done? Most things we cook to a temp but I don't think that applies as much for jerky. Do I dare give it a taste test after 5 or 6 hours? Is that too long?

Thanks in advance!

2. Weber now makes a hanging rack so you can hang from it and the top grate. The 18-inch one is Weber # 7472. Not sure I'd use the bottom grate unless you lay it flat on the grate. I just don't think there's enough hangin room between the bottom grate and the water pan.

I've made jerky in the WSM and it turns out pretty good. There's a recipe for beef jerky in the Weber Smoke cookbook but the technique should easily transfer to turkey. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121894/peppery-beef-jerky/0_100

A lot of folks use a bend test for doneness. I think mine took 5 to 6 hours at 175*F. Be advised that the process in the Weber Smoke cookbook comes with a warning about how the USDA recommends drying meat.

HTH

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. Wow that looks great. I bought the Weber Smoke book so I might have to try that. 

4. Do the Cedar Planked Salmon with Apple Juice and Mustard Glaze and Citrus Pork Tenderloin, too. OMG they are good!

dstickel likes this.