Turkey....HELP

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by diamondrcattle, Nov 2, 2015.

1. diamondrcattle

diamondrcattle Fire Starter

I've smoked literally thousands of pounds of beef and pork the last 20 years.....only smoked one turkey over 12 years ago. I'm a rancher....don't eat much feathers. Wife entered me in a church turkey cookoff. Got my turkey, it has been injected with a brine solution acording to the package. Should I brine it or just inject? Was going to use creole butter injection if i inject. Will brining make it too mealy??? Going to smoke Thurs. Advice needed!!!

2. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

First, I'm not competing, I'm eating. 

I've brined pre-injected turkeys before.  I only use about half the salt I normally do or it ends up tasting too salty.  The brine I use is to add the other flavors to the meat (OJ or apple juice and seasonings) without overpowering the flavor of the turkey.  12-24 hours maximum in the brine. 

I do prefer to inject my brine into the breast even on pre-injected turkeys.  Creole butter would be good.  Just lower the salt amount would be my suggestion. 

3. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Id brine it with the flavors you want it to have then season under the skin with rub before smoking

4. stickyfingers

stickyfingers Smoking Fanatic

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good info , you can make your plann with confidence . The only thing I can add is to say , be patient ,
    Stan.