Turkey....HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diamondrcattle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2015
I've smoked literally thousands of pounds of beef and pork the last 20 years.....only smoked one turkey over 12 years ago. I'm a rancher....don't eat much feathers. Wife entered me in a church turkey cookoff. Got my turkey, it has been injected with a brine solution acording to the package. Should I brine it or just inject? Was going to use creole butter injection if i inject. Will brining make it too mealy??? Going to smoke Thurs. Advice needed!!!

First, I'm not competing, I'm eating. 

I've brined pre-injected turkeys before.  I only use about half the salt I normally do or it ends up tasting too salty.  The brine I use is to add the other flavors to the meat (OJ or apple juice and seasonings) without overpowering the flavor of the turkey.  12-24 hours maximum in the brine. 

I do prefer to inject my brine into the breast even on pre-injected turkeys.  Creole butter would be good.  Just lower the salt amount would be my suggestion. 

Id brine it with the flavors you want it to have then season under the skin with rub before smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky