Trying new technique for Pork Butt plus quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
First things first tried an intriguing method for some pulled pork for work. Saw JoeYim on YouTube do it where you cut out the bone then cut the butt into 6 smaller chunks. Season them with my homemade sweet rub. Smoked at 250 for around 7 hours. Then threw all the chunks in a foil pain with some lard and cooked at 275 for about an hour to an hour and half. Supposed to give it more bark and smoke. It was good and tender heck I only needed one hand to shred it but don't know if it's worth the work.

And now for the question. Planning on a get together for Memorial Day and we wanna eat around 2. There was a request for pulled pork, pork belly burnt ends and we are having a rib cook off. Think I can do the ribs and burnt ends day of. But was thinking of doing the pulled pork on Sunday. Just don't know my best bet of reheating it for the next day. Should I do the overnight rest in the oven although I'm scared a 18 hour oven rest might be way too much. Or just leave it whole and reheat it the next day. Or shred it and add some spritz and such and reheat right before. What would be your go to move in this situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_081346788.jpg
    IMG_20230521_081346788.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230521_130133921_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_130133921_HDR.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230521_142440043_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_142440043_HDR.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230521_171001745_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_171001745_HDR.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230521_181639839_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_181639839_HDR.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230521_181909481_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_181909481_HDR.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230521_181957102_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_181957102_HDR.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 24
Not sure about your smoker set-up (I use an MES40), but when I need PP for lunch, I usually start it at 10 PM (+/-) and use my AMNPS for an overnight smoke. If it gets done a little early, just rest it in a cooler.

If I cooked it ahead of time. I would shred-it, fridge-it and warm it in a crock pot. Can always add a dash of water to keep it moist.

Last edited:
First things first tried an intriguing method for some pulled pork for work. Saw JoeYim on YouTube do it where you cut out the bone then cut the butt into 6 smaller chunks. Season them with my homemade sweet rub. Smoked at 250 for around 7 hours. Then threw all the chunks in a foil pain with some lard and cooked at 275 for about an hour to an hour and half. Supposed to give it more bark and smoke. It was good and tender heck I only needed one hand to shred it but don't know if it's worth the work.

And now for the question. Planning on a get together for Memorial Day and we wanna eat around 2. There was a request for pulled pork, pork belly burnt ends and we are having a rib cook off. Think I can do the ribs and burnt ends day of. But was thinking of doing the pulled pork on Sunday. Just don't know my best bet of reheating it for the next day. Should I do the overnight rest in the oven although I'm scared a 18 hour oven rest might be way too much. Or just leave it whole and reheat it the next day. Or shred it and add some spritz and such and reheat right before. What would be your go to move in this situation.
Nice work on the pulled pork!

I do something kind of similar but way less complicated.
I take a pork butt and on the meat side opposite of the fat cap side. I take a knife and cut it "almost" in half until I hit the bone and then I stop. I leave it all one piece but now I can spread it out easily along the cut.

This allows me to season in there and to set spread open some in the smoker so it gets bark and more smoke flavor in there where no smoke, bark, seasoning could ever get if it was still left whole and uncut.

Same kind of idea to what you did but no deboning, no multi pieces, not nothing extra. I do mine unwrapped the whole time in my MES so not even any fooling around opening the smoker and panning the meat etc.
Just prep, set in, smoke, and pull when tender and ready! It tastes better than any pulled pork I've found anywhere and easily fixed any lack of flavor issues I ever had :)

Onto your upcoming smoke now.
Yeah you will be fine smoking the pork butt before. I would shred in a pan, tightly couver in foil and then refrigerate.
I would heat the next day in the oven or throw some in the crock pot, etc. It's quite forgiving so you should be ok as long as you don't re-cook it when you reheat it. You simply just want to warm it up again :)

I just did some PP for a work luncheon. Cooked day ahead. Shredded and into the fridge. Put in crock pot that morning, When I got to work plugged it in on high for an hour to get the crock hot, low for an hour then to warm. Was moist, tasty, tender, and like it just came off the smoker.
tallbm tallbm method sounds good too. Warm in the oven. And can look at Chef Jimmys finishing sauce to mix in while it reheats if you think your meat may be a little dry.

Jim

Reactions: JBCWCHS06
You will be fine reheating the pork in the oven, crock pot, or sous vide. Have some sort of liquid like pork broth, Coca-Cola or thinned sauce to use as needed. One suggestion is to break down your pork carefully by muscle groups, remove any soft fatty areas, and keep in larger chunks. This will keep it moister. After reheating, these chunks will pull easily. Also grind some of your rub into a very, very fine powder. This will work as a finishing rub and should almost melt on contact with the heated pork.
etxHIPS.jpg

zWmuRc7.jpg

I'll have to try this. I do my pork butts overnight. I do them at 225° overnight (usually start around 11pm) then in the morning crank it up to 275° to finish to temp. Rest for a couple hours and all is good. I have a pellet smoker so just sent a temp alarm for low or high temp and go to bed. Maybe you can't. If not, you CAN cook the day before. I do this, and it's pretty good but a small bit of the tenderness seems to go away maybe because I just warm up in the microwave (don't flog me! It's leftovers!). Anyway, I also like to FRY my pulled pork in a pan with a tad bit of bacon grease. I will make sandwiches like this put a pile of dollup of my bacon grease (I keep a mason jar at the stove) and then put a sandwich worth of meat on the skillet, wait a couple minutes and flip. It adds a bit of crisp that my family really likes. It may or may not be for you, but we love it. The bacon grease is probably optional as it does add a bit of bacon flavor but I've never tried it without so who knows.

JB

Anyway, I also like to FRY my pulled pork in a pan with a tad bit of bacon grease. I will make sandwiches like this put a pile of dollup of my bacon grease (I keep a mason jar at the stove) and then put a sandwich worth of meat on the skillet, wait a couple minutes and flip. It adds a bit of crisp that my family really likes.

I took a cooking class one year and the cooks made spare ribs that were basted in warmed lard a few times. Pork on pork kind of thing, and really good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky