Trivets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Couple I just built for the 12” Dutch oven.

IMG_2026.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg

One is 4” tall the other is 6” tall. All are adjustable by changing the bolt length for legs, nuts are welded to the frame so can make pretty much any height you need .

Thank you gentlemen,for the kind words, and likes. I do appreciate it. Anything modular is more handy than something not. So I built something that would work but that could also be easily adjusted for height if needed.
The three legs on the DO fit perfectly in the reassess of the clover design. These were big shoes, 6”x6” but I did that to maybe accommodate my Copper Cazo and my little Dutch oven. If you are cooking in a pot on the ground outside with coals these are a very functional tool.

Btw, the shoes were $2.70 a piece. At today’s steel prices to build something these were a steal. Bolts were zinc coated and bought by the pound at $2.50 so I have maybe $12 in each plus my time and wire for the welder.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes Charles, I’m a raised farm kid. I can fix or break most anything. lol been that way as far back as I can remember.
According to my wife, daughter, and grandgirls, I can fix most anything, too. But I'm not nearly as good at fixing than I am breaking. When you're good at breaking, you better be good at fixing or have a bank full of money...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
According to my wife, daughter, and grandgirls, I can fix most anything, too. But I'm not nearly as good at fixing than I am breaking. When you're good at breaking, you better be good at fixing or have a bank full of money...
I learned to weld/fabricate at around 8-9 years old. Equipment broke in the field and needed fixed yesterday. So all conditions repair and fabrication was part of our lifestyle. When we built something it was with our own hands no hired help, from trailer to barns or shop buildings we did that too. The house we live in now, my wife and , no joke together built the whole thing with our own hands. 3000 sf including a walk out basement, did it all, except for the plumbing and full brick exterior. Yes I even wired it all. You name it we do it. I just don’t know any other way to live. Truck breaks down or a piece of equipment, I fix it, no matter what the issue mechanically. The computer stuff now really not so much but everything else is on me.

• Love
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Hook for the lid and to handle the pot. Used a “J” bolt for foundations to secure the bottom plate. Cost was $2.50 then a 2’ piece of 1/2” rebar for a handle, I had the small 1/4 round stock for stabilize support.

I bent the “L” on the anchor bolt to be more like a “J” then added the 1/4” for a stabilizer. Very cheap and super functional for this farm kid.

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

Tool on the lid

IMG_2030.jpeg

I learned to weld/fabricate at around 8-9 years old. Equipment broke in the field and needed fixed yesterday. So all conditions repair and fabrication was part of our lifestyle. When we built something it was with our own hands no hired help, from trailer to barns or shop buildings we did that too. The house we live in now, my wife and , no joke together built the whole thing with our own hands. 3000 sf including a walk out basement, did it all, except for the plumbing and full brick exterior. Yes I even wired it all. You name it we do it. I just don’t know any other way to live. Truck breaks down or a piece of equipment, I fix it, no matter what the issue mechanically. The computer stuff now really not so much but everything else is on me.
I am impressed, but not surprised. Too many today can't take care of themselves, let alone a family...

So how many time you been told?
Dang it boy you could break a anvil!
When we were in a bad spot, my dad would tell me “ Now is the time to break the anvil” Lmao. Kind of a true story….. Just get it done !

Btw, the shoes were $2.70 a piece. At today’s steel prices to build something these were a steal. Bolts were zinc coated and bought by the pound at $2.50 so I have maybe $12 in each plus my time and wire for the welder.
Creative
Noticed the shoes were new. Looked for the photos my buddy sent me of spent shoes that got crafted into horseshoe crabs. No luck but probably out there in the ether.
I learned to weld/fabricate at around 8-9 years old. Equipment broke in the field and needed fixed yesterday. So all conditions repair and fabrication was part of our lifestyle.
You would fit in well during out sugar beet harvest. There is so many parts to fail it is a challenge to see what we can fix in the field. The better story was using a pickup truck to pull a gearbox off the defoliator. The drive coupling failed and was stuck. Needed a constant tension until we got the coupling aligned and ploop, the gear box popped loose.

Last edited:
Creative
Noticed the shoes were new. Looked for the photos my buddy sent me of spent shoes that got crafted into horseshoe crabs. No luck but probably out there in the ether.

You would fit in well during out sugar beet harvest. There is so many parts to fail it is a challenge to see what we can fix in the field. The better story was using a pickup truck to pull a gearbox off the defoliator. The drive coupling failed and was stuck. Needed a constant tension until we got the coupling aligned and ploop, the gear box popped loose.
I have the used shoes, but they are all 5x5” more standard, I bought these new as 6x6” for club footed horses, lol, (medium draft horse size) but they were $2.70 a piece and were a better platform for my copper Cazo but still work with the Dutch oven. These were made modular for multiple purpose.

IMG_1801.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky