Too Big to flail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ranch41

Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
The Foothills in Nor Cal
We are having about 22 guests over for Thanksgiving tomorrow and wanted to do a brisket. So I bought the biggest brisket my local market had, which was 8#. After much calculating and fretting, I decided to get a smaller one, around 5#. The smallest one they had was another 8#. So after reading many threads about cooking briskets too large for the smoker I decided to drape the sides over my water pan. I started at 9:00 pm and hope to be resting them by 1:00 pm. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 97CF3462-3D9A-4E19-A743-0A35D512B67C.jpeg
    97CF3462-3D9A-4E19-A743-0A35D512B67C.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks man. Three hours in and already at 153. I figure it will take about 12 to 15 hours. I have two 8#’s so what do you think? My target temp is 235 to 265.

Yes, cooking temps 235-265 and IT 190. As you can see I have an Ok Joe and have to feed it every hour to 2 hours. I really didn’t trust the pellet types but from what I hear you just set the temp and it automatically feeds pellets to maintain temps. Maybe I should have gone that way but then I’d be missing out on a good night’s sleep before the fam gets here.

I would think a meat temp of 203-207 but use a probe when it hits 195 to see when it probes like butter,remember all cuts can be different and 210 isn't out of the range some times. 204 seems to be a sweet spot , good luck

Thanks. From what I’ve been reading is to stick it in a couple of places as different parts will cook at different rates. My question is, assuming a bell curve where you work your way up, then hit the perfect cook, and then anything longer will start to detract, how will I know the whole brisket is done? OR am I overthinking it cause I think I fell asleep for 15 minutes since 6:45 yesterday morning?

So about 6 hours in and I think I’m at the stall cause it’s been in the 150s for a couple hours.

PS- I have the Ok Joe with the half side propane burners and since the outside temp is about 40* I fired it up to add some more heat as I was having some trouble getting up to 265.

Reactions: JC in GB
Your overthinking it, but that's understandable. Probe the flat in it's thickest parts. If by chance it gets a little overcooked it will still be tender - just a little bit crumbly. Undercooked brisket is worse in my opinion. Undercooked equals tough.

Chris

Thanks. Almost 6 am here and 8.5 hrs. total time and my IT is 175. We are getting closer.. then I have to pop the turkey into the oven at 9:00.

Happy Thanksgiving

Back at ya, and enjoy your day.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky