Tonight's Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dblbogey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Just got through making Jeff's Rub and Sauce recipe and what do you think I heard at my door? The delivery man bringing me Jeff's Smoking Meat book!!!

Looks like I'll have time to check it out before I rub my butts for tonight's smoke. I'm planning on putting 8 butts on the smoker about 1 am with plans for them to be done sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Just got through making Jeff's Rub and Sauce recipe and what do you think I heard at my door? The delivery man bringing me Jeff's Smoking Meat book!!!

Looks like I'll have time to check it out before I rub my butts for tonight's smoke. I'm planning on putting 8 butts on the smoker about 1 am with plans for them to be done sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Sounds like a monster smoke you got goin' there!  Good luck, I hope everything turns out great.
dang! 8 butts?!?! Hope you have a lot of friends/family coming over (or a lot of Lipitor!). Curious (since I'm so new to this site), what is "Jeff's Rub and Sauce" and his book?
If you like you can order Jeff's rub and sauce recipes - I posted the link.  He also recently published a book on smoking meat.  Or, you can search this site under the Rub and Sauce forum and find some equally good recipes - some better (unless of course you talk to Jeff).  Jeff by the way is the founder of SMF.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/jeffs-naked-rib-rub-recipe.html

Good luck and get smokin'

Bill

OK, thanks guys for letting me know (should've guessed!)...I will definitely check out the book, but I am too stubborn (some say arrogant) to buy pre-mixed rubs...

If you signed up for the free E-course there is a link there to go and purchase the rub and sauce recipes.  Not that expensive.

dang! 8 butts?!?! Hope you have a lot of friends/family coming over (or a lot of Lipitor!). Curious (since I'm so new to this site), what is "Jeff's Rub and Sauce" and his book?
Yeah, Cooking them for a Church BBQ dinner for Sunday. Planning on about 80 people.

Last edited:
I've decided to foil this time. Since I am doing 8 butts could I use the aluminum disposable pans. Should hold two each and foil them? Would that work about as well as individual foiling?

DB, I'm sitt'n here wondering what part of NC your in.  I have nothing to do tomorrow but keep warm.  If you need help eat'n all that pork I'm up for a road trip!   :-)

I've decided to foil this time. Since I am doing 8 butts could I use the aluminum disposable pans. Should hold two each and foil them? Would that work about as well as individual foiling?
Yes to the pans, I just put foil over the top of the pan and let it sit in all that great juice. After its all said and done defat the juice and pour back over the pulled pork .Thumbs Up

DB, I'm sitt'n here wondering what part of NC your in.  I have nothing to do tomorrow but keep warm.  If you need help eat'n all that pork I'm up for a road trip!   :-)
I'm down here in Rockingham. Come on down. Church starts at 11:00 dinner to follow!
Yes to the pans, I just put foil over the top of the pan and let it sit in all that great juice. After its all said and done defat the juice and pour back over the pulled pork .
icon14.gif
Sounds good. If I can get them all in a pan that's what I'll do along with some apple juice.

Here it is. 1st Q-view.

Butts ready to remove some of the fat.

Butts with Jeff's rub ready for the smoker.

On the smoker at 1:00 am. Cooker at 232 degrees. Outside temp 28 degrees.

After 4 hours. Sprayed them with apple juice. Meat temp about 150.

Daylight and my Thin Blue Smoke!!

8 am butts at 160 time to pan and foil.

3 butts per pan with 1/2 cup of apple juice. 

Removed from heat at 200 then let them sit untouched for 1 hour.

Two butts pulled, 7 to go! Thanks goodness for bear paws!! 

Ok. 9 butts (yeah I know I had planned on 8 but my BIL heard I was smoking and asked me to throw one on for him!) I wanted to cook at 230 but all night the temps ran around 217. Right after daylight, when i panned them the Mavrick started claiming I was at 250. I had made no adjustments to the gas but had moved the probe and the sun was up. Anyway cook was finished at 11:30 so 10 1/2 hours start to finish.

Jeff's rub and sauce are great will certainly use it again next time. Can't quite ge tthe feel for how much SoFlaQue Sauce finishing sauce to use.

Wife and I went ahead and tasted the Que (didn't wat to feed the church a bad product!) Awesome. I will have to make more of Jeff's sauce since the double recipe is nowhere near enough for tomorrow.

Well that's it for now. Tommorrow I'll be smoking chicken thighs, pork candy, and potatoe skins. Gonna be a busy weekend!!

Looks awesome Db.    I agree, you gotta sample it!   I'm pretty bad to pull the small strip of loin out for myself.    I'm usually half full by the time the pork gets to the table.

Great job!!

Fantastic looking pork.

Great job DB!

Bill
Thanks!!
Looks awesome Db.    I agree, you gotta sample it!   I'm pretty bad to pull the small strip of loin out for myself.    I'm usually half full by the time the pork gets to the table.

Great job!!
And thanks!!

The BBQ was great. I used some finishing sauce and a smigeon of BBQ sauce. Flavor was off the hook!!. Received many compliments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky