To Lava Rocks or not to lava rocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

enterprise

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Eastern NE
Can you use lava rocks as a replacement for sand to act as a heat sink in a ECB (electric)?

If so is there a any prep to using them?

I've used them in an old Brinman propane-charcoal smoker. lava rocks do help with the temps, but you need to turn them around to get any drippings to burn off.

I was going to put sand in my water pan half way and then cover with foil to keep it clean and then set a pan of water on top of that. My wife has a bag of small lava rocks that I can use instead of digging through a 5' snow drift where the sand is located in a barrel. This way they stay clean and I have a better heat sink for colder temps outside. This was my thinking.

Just curious if any one has tried this.

The Lava rocks work great in an electric Brinkman as I own one . My water pan is lined with hd foil so when the cook is done I just wad it up and in the trash can it goes . Sounds like good ideal in principal with the colder temps you must deal with .

Where do you place them? Same place as the lava rocks? I'm little nervous about smoking two butts tomorrow in 20-30* temps. so please forgive all the questions.

I put the fire bricks at the bottom of my smoker. But I have a turkey fryer burner for a heat source and I just set them right on top of the burner and then put my chip plat on top of the fire bricks. I leave a crack between some of the bricks so some of the flames can come up and get to my chip pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky