TIME TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Newark on Trent, United Kingdom.
Hello folks.  I have a menu change for the smoking weekend.  I tried to take the easy way out!  I have been telling folks A,B,C,X,Y,Z, nana, nana,nana!  I can't in good conscience take that easy escape and still advise folks.   So time for me to step up to the plate!  Sink or swim. Instead of a rib roast I'll be doing a 5-7kg. brisket.  Mesquite will also be used.  Brisket and mesquite,  it's just gotta be!  Is a Texas tradition!  Either I know what the He** I'm talking about or I don't!  SO, I will have dropped my trousers and all will be hanging out on the day.  Just FYI, I have yet to cook anything on the new 57cm. Weber kettle. I do plan a rib roast for Sunday for the kettle.  The brisket should be tons of fun!  Well there it is.  You folks may have the opportunity to send many PM's talking about how awful that brisket was!  Am looking forward to the weekend, I think??  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Last edited:
Yeah right, Danny.
Hey all, ol' Danny is trying to act afraid of a little old brisket. That old Texas bred buzzard has smoked LOTS of briskets. Don't let him fool you with that "I'm not sure how this will come out" act. Danny will give you good ol' true blue Texas style beef with one arm tied and half asleep. You ain't gone completely European yet, have you? I mean talking centimeters and kilograms doesn't mean they knocked the Texas out of you, does it? Post some pics of that beef when you can.

What??   No Prime Rib until Sunday??

I might be late.
biggrin.gif

Bear

Hello Folks.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I will take many picts as I want want the U.S. contingent to see what I use for a packer over here.  If all else fails I do have a pretty good oven in the caravan.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  We shall see what we end up with on Aug, 9th.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hi Danny! am I posting this up on the Menu Board? 24 Hours and the clock is ticking before it's official!!!

First thing on my menu is Kebab, might chuck in some traditional English Chips, after all, second after our New National Dish of Curry, the Kebab must be a close second.

Smokin Monkey

Hello.  Yep!  Go for it Steve!  Scratch the rib roast and replace with brisket.  I MAY regret it ( doing a large brisket on a fairly new smoker and at a campsite )  but there you go.  The decision has been made.  Either we will have brisket or I'll hang my head in shame, pack my sh--  ahhhh, I mean stuff and head home in embarrassment.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

The bar has been raised! It's a bit like the World Cup, teams in contention of winning, and the rest of us making up the numbers. Who's in the final Danny V Wade?m I' am on the English Bus, home first!!!!!

Smokin Monkey

Hello Steve.  I have had my first play with the new Weber 57cm. ( is posted )  She IS a bit temperamental!!!  This gonna be a stressful Saturday!  We are gonna get there so long as we jump through all the hoops.  Don't jump on that England bus too early; the U.S.A. bus may be leaving MUCH earlier!  Have fun.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

I have had my first play with the new Weber 57cm. ( is posted )  She IS a bit temperamental!!!  This gonna be a stressful Saturday!  
Danny - The 57cm is a pussycat. You wait till you try the 67cm...! Now she is a force to be reckoned with !

Hello Steve.  You stop stirrin S**!!  This isn't a competition!!  
ROTF.gif
  This is gonna be a relaxing, no pressure, weekend gathering.  OK!!!!!  I'll say what no one else wants to post.  We ALL know the pressure is on for the weekend!  No One wants to show up and have a failure on the day!  Reputations and pride are on the line!  That's why I HAD to do the brisket AND use mesquite.  As you can imagine, being from Tx. BBQ is a SERIOUS deal for me.  I am gonna buy that Pitmaster IQ that Wade told us about so that I move into the 20th century but I just CAN'T use it for that weekend!  I think it looks a wonderful gadget but I have opened my mouth and spouted off so I either back it up or shut up!  The new smoker will make it more fun as you need to learn the quirks but I'll have something hopefully edible for the Pitmaster's feast.

NOW!!  Having said that, for you newer folks; don't stress over what you produce/bring for the weekend.  In my humble opinion that's what the gathering is for.  It is a sharing, learning experience.  Also to meet some nice new folks.  IF you have a disaster on the day , no worries.  There will be plenty of food.  We have all had disasters.  I have planned a meal at 18:00 and served it at 23:00.  Way back when, I have planned a dinner party and had to get take away.

This isn't a competition!!  
ROTF.gif
  This is gonna be a relaxing, no pressure, weekend gathering.  OK!!!!!  
Not a competition!!! But I have just paid for the air tickets for the KCBS judge!. He insisted on coming over first class for such an important event.

Anyway I will be bringing some of that Asda Authentic American BBQ pulled pork. If I take it out of the pack before I arrive no-one would probably notice that it wasn't mine...

Ha Ha! Pre-match mind games!

Life is much too short to play mind games - whatever happens happens. I think we are going to end up with way too much food anyway and one persons disaster is another persons learning experience.

There has not been much that I have cooked over the years that has been totally inedible - usually something is salvageable. And the odd failure just goes to remind you that we are all human - either that or that you should have only had the one bottle of bourbon before starting to cook.

Hi Wade, just poking a little fun. I know what your saying, we do Hog Roasts at a weekend, and had some close shaves!

We are really looking forward to the get together. We have all so said that their will be lots of food, might have to invite half the campsite round.

Smokin Monkey

Hello.  I have invited the site managers but that is just about 4 people.  Good idea Steve!    After all is said and done maybe just walk through the campsite yellin "FREE BBQ".  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Glad you're doing a brisket Danny, it's what all us aspiring Q'ers would love to master, I for one shall be taking notes and as you've upped the anti, it'll take the heat off us total newbs. Heck it's got to be the Q equivalent of falling on a grenade 
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky