Time estimate for a split-temp bird?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2011
Riverview, FL
Wife wanted the Norman Rockwell look this year, so I'm not spatching it.
The bird is 17 lbs. I've been brining it in the fridge for about 14 hrs since last night using a variation of Pops' brine, so there's a bit of Cure #1 in it. (1cup each of Salt, Brown sugar and white sugar. A tbsp each of cure#1, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder).
It'll be in my pellet smoker with a tube. I'd prefer to do about an hour or 2 at 225F then raise it to 325F, to get enough smoke.
My first guess was 5 hrs, but I have been seeing estimates from 3 1/2 hours for it at 325F, all the way up to 8 hrs, so now I'm second guessing how long this thing is gonna take.
Obviously I'm going with the internal temp as the final determination, but I'd like to hit roughly within an hour or so of my target time (4:30 pm PST). It would suck to underestimate it.
Any guidelines from the crowd? Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Are you going for a cured turkey? 14 hours will not be long enough for the cure #1 to penetrate all the way through the bird to the center of the breast. You will likely have a pink ring with white meat in the center.

Oh. Ok. Well, lesson learned.
I'll just tell her it's the smoke ring. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky