Thoughts on rotisserie turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

angryengineer

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Eau Claire, WI
I’ve been brining and smoking the thanksgiving turkey on a big green egg for 15 years. Over that time, about ever other year some family member also brings a turkey made some other way (deep fried, pellet grill, commercially purchased brine, etc. etc.). I’m not in a competition, but the BGE turkey is always the first one gone.

This summer I bought a new (another) grill (Blaze 40” with rotisserie) and plan to smoke the turkey and rotisserie cook it. 10% injection with phosphate mixed with vegetable stock. The injection is very similar to my brine. Planning to use the smoker box with maple wood chips and corn cob pellets.

Now I’m second guessing myself. I’m tempted to go get another bird and do the method that is tried and proven. When I picked up the turkey the butcher asked how I would cook it and then proceeded to tell me how his family loves a BGE turkey. Please talk me off the ledge or do I go buy another bird tomorrow morning as a backup?

NOOOO... Stick with your original plan... It sounds like you've been Q'n/smoking for many of years and are more than capable of pulling it off... GO FOR IT ...

Well, sounds like I need to pick up that second bird, go with what is tried and proven, and quit being the engineer that needs to “tweak” everything.

Formula for what works:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 heads garlic lightly smashed
10 bay Leaves crumbled
2 inch piece of ginger smashed
2 oranges squeezed and rind
2 quarts vegetable stock
2 quarts apple juice
One bunch fresh parsley torn and bruised

Soak for 36-48 hours.
Dry for 24 hours
Pull from fridge, place ice pack packs on breast, and let warm for1-2 hours
Smoke on BGE with maple and corn cob until breast is 165.

I’m tempted to go get another bird and do the method that is tried and proven.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I'm in the do both corner with Chili.
I would suggest to prep both birds the same, just cook two ways.

Warning:
Not long ago we had a two way cook. Tri-Tip and hamburgers.
Neither was great. Dividing my attention was not a good thing to do.

But I hope whatever you decide turns out Famously! ;):D

I'm with Richie on this one. Spin it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky