Thermometer questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Guys & gals I recently ordered me a Pit Boss grill. I have a couple of questions regarding thermometers.

I bought this Thermoworks Smoke X4 to monitor pit Temps & meat Temps.

So I got a Weber instant read meat thermometer. Do I need to spend the money on a Thermworks instant read thermometer? I was looking at the Thermoworks One instant read thermometer.

I mean I would hate for any under cooked food.

Can I get by with what I got now for a while, till I recoup some of my cash?

Thanks.
1000000157.jpg

You are fine with the Weber Instant read... It just takes a little longer ...

I suggest you calibrate ALL your probes AND instant read thermometors... Rapid boil a pot of water... Hold probe ends down in the water (not touching sides or bottom) ... Now see what the read outs say for each one.... They should read the same temp as what the water boils at at your elevation...

You are fine with the Weber Instant read... It just takes a little longer ...

I suggest you calibrate ALL your probes AND instant read thermometors... Rapid boil a pot of water... Hold probe ends down in the water (not touching sides or bottom) ... Now see what the read outs say for each one.... They should read the same temp as what the water boils at at your elevation...
Thanks. Lol I'm not sure on my exact elevation, but I'm somewhere between 400-800 ft above sea level I believe. No more than a 1000ft for sure.

Should I do the cup of ice water as well to check probe calibrations?

Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
You are looking for about 210*F mine boils at a cool 200*F (6450’)
Thanks. I'll check it out when my grill shows up. Then I will check temp probe calibrations.

Lol it seems like it takes water forever to boil on my stove top for some reason.

I also want to check out the pit boss probe Temps, versus the Thermoworks Temps probes once I check the calibrations.

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll check it out when my grill shows up. Then I will check temp probe calibrations.

Lol it seems like it takes water forever to boil on my stove top for some reason.

I also want to check out the pit boss probe Temps, versus the Thermoworks Temps probes once I check the calibrations.

Thanks.
Most none of the factory therms on cookers are accurate, that’s why we need aftermarket. I have a Thermpro pen and a dual therm from them, they are plenty accurate enough.

Reactions: DieselTech
Most none of the factory therms on cookers are accurate, that’s why we need aftermarket. I have a Thermpro pen and a dual therm from them, they are plenty accurate enough.
That is the main reason I bought the Thermoworks setup. I was afraid the pit boss would cause me a under cooked or over cooked meats. Lmao I can't afford to be ruining meat at today's prices.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That is the main reason I bought the Thermoworks setup. I was afraid the pit boss would cause me an under cooked or over cooked meats. Lmao I can't afford to be ruining meat at today's prices.
Don’t worry, once you get settled in with your cooker and cook enough different meats, the only thermometer you will need is a pen type for IT on chicken, otherwise for butts or brisket the probe test with a bamboo skewer is all you need. The pen will still be useful for steaks and such.

All I run is a pen thermometer for IT no need to watch or check anything else. Only reason I have a dual therm set up is for my off set cooker to watch the grate temps where the meat is, I almost never stick a probe to ride in a piece of meat unless I’m wanting rare, medium rare kind of thing on a prime rib

Don’t worry, once you get settled in with your cooker and cook enough different meats, the only thermometer you will need is a pen type for IT on chicken, otherwise for butts or brisket the probe test with a bamboo skewer is all you need. The pen will still be useful for steaks and such.

All I run is a pen thermometer for IT no need to watch or check anything else. Only reason I have a dual therm set up is for my off set cooker to watch the grate temps where the meat is, I almost never stick a probe to ride in a piece of meat unless I’m wanting rare, medium rare kind of thing on a prime rib
Thanks. Yeah I want to smoke some chickens, when I get a bit more time under my belt.

But under cooked chicken scares me, because McDonald's once tried killing me.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks. Yeah I want to smoke some chickens, when I get a bit more time under my belt.

Stick around. You will learn a lot. There is a range of things. But let’s go one step at a time. Glad to have you on board and engaged.

I use my Inkbird 6X every time I smoke something, it keeps tract of the grate temp and dosent cost anything to keep track of the meat lol

Reactions: DieselTech

Get the hang of smoking thighs, legs, or quarters (dark meat). Take them to about 185°. Even if you miss that target temp slightly, they are still done at 165°, they're just better at the higher temp.

Get the hang of smoking thighs, legs, or quarters (dark meat). Take them to about 185°. Even if you miss that target temp slightly, they are still done at 165°, they're just better at the higher temp.
Yeah I have been reading that on this site & a few other places. That chicken tastes & has a better bite if the IT is taken to 185°-195°F range.

Oh I can't wait! Smoked chicken breast sounds awful good right now.😋

Thanks for the cooking tip & info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky