• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thermapen? Not an option... recommendation on cheaper instant read thermometers

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barkerb

Jun 1, 2014
I am not really interested in shelling out the cash for a Thermapen. I get that it might be a great tool but I just cant justtify the cost right now.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality instant read thermometer under $30? I know there are a bunch at every Target, WalMart, etc ranging from $10-$40 but I dont want to waste $ on something unreliable.

dandl93

Smoking Fanatic
Mar 5, 2014

I am not really interested in shelling out the cash for a Thermapen. I get that it might be a great tool but I just cant justtify the cost right now.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality instant read thermometer under $30? I know there are a bunch at every Target, WalMart, etc ranging from $10-$40 but I dont want to waste $ on something unreliable.
I bought the Maverick Pro Temp PT100.It works great also alot cheaper then the Thermapen.I know it is not under $40 but well worth every penny I did pay.I use and depend on my Pro Temp more then any of my other temps..ET733 and Tel Trus I only use for my smoker temps.The Pro Temp I use for the Smoker,Grill and Kitchen when cooking raw milk for Cheese.

Dan 

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013

This works great,  3-4  second read out.

addertooth

Smoking Fanatic
Jul 1, 2014
If you are looking to save money, consider a slower reading thermometer (7-9 seconds).  Just about everything made by Polder tends to be accurate.  Many stores carry that brand and they are inexpensive.  And as always, boil test every thermometer you buy; even the expensive ones can be mis-manufactured.

Last edited:

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
Look at Cooper Atkin's  DPP400W.   $17 on Amazon.

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Feb 28, 2010
I bought an Accurite at WalMart for $10 and it works just fine, comes to temp in about 5-6 seconds. Perfect for me 'cause I'm cheap.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013

I bought an Accurite at WalMart for $10 and it works just fine, comes to temp in about 5-6 seconds. Perfect for me 'cause I'm cheap.
Amen Brother.  I picked up a no-name digital food probe at the grocery store or Amazon years ago for like $8 or $10.  The trick for mine is to stick it in the meat before you turn it on.  Reads final temp in under 10 seconds.     

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 3, 2011
Last edited:

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Jul 16, 2008
I realize that times can be tough, therefore I suggest going to a Restaurant supply or a store that sells the little therms. like you see coos use. You may find one at your local grocery (hanging off the shelves). They are cheap,about $4 and usually have a nut on bottom for calibrating. they are not 'instant' read , but 2-3 sec. to get your temp.

Have fun and . . .

smokeburns

Smoke Blower
May 7, 2014
I agree, I have been eyeballing the thermo pop for some time now. Cause I can't at this time put out $98 for its counterpart. However this should be my last purchase I get to accompany my maverick. "Yeah right".

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Dec 31, 2012
People like the thermopop because the like saying "pop" and it looks like a tootsie pop. lol    Thermoworks has cheaper faster therms but if you want a "cute" name go thermopop. :)

daricksta

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2012

I bought this for $60 from a BBQ school I attended on day and it's the best truly instant read therm I've ever owned. We use it more in the kitchen than for grilling and smoking.

http://www.cdnw.com/product/proaccurate®-folding-thermocouple-thermometer-red

casmurf

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2009
I bought one of these Extech39272 thermometer for $39.99 w/free shipping).

about 3 years ago and been using it ever since no problems.

Jerry S.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Aug 1, 2008
For an extra ten bucks?  I like that one!  
yeahthat.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky