The Smoking Meat Pantry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
If you could put together the ultimate smoking meat pantry with all of the main stuff that you use, what would it contain. Things you do not like to run out of.

In essence.. what are THE staples of smoking meat and cooking outdoors in general?

I'll have to say all of the spice ingredients for the rubs that you use, and plenty of rubs already made up.  Also, if you inject, then you want to have plenty of that stuff around, too.  Not to mention the various kinds of woods that you would use and fuel for the smoker unless it's electric.

Oh, and of course, a computer with SMF opened up in a tab and a camera for Q-view!

Turbinado sugar, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, garlic salt, cbp, various store bought rubs, various store bought marinades, apple juice, ketchup, mustard, wood chunks, RO lump, HD tin foil, Vacuum sealer, Yoshida's, Chaka's, Worcestershire, soy sauce, Tender Quick, Curing/Prague powders, injectors, tongs, sheet pans, thermometers, flashlight (for those all nighters!), spray bottle, mopping brush, cooler, towels, heat resistant gloves, and of course a fridge full of beer between the pantry and the smoker!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Great information! Anyone else want to add anything to this?

This is my spice rack, basically every spice that I like and lots of it. I also have backup kosher salt. My fridge is full of sauces and another cupboard with vinegars and other items.

4f06b8d6_spicerack.jpg

I always use butcher paper when cutting meats or applying rubs. When I'm done, I just roll it up and put it into the trash. No need to scrub down the table.

If you could put together the ultimate smoking meat pantry with all of the main stuff that you use, what would it contain. Things you do not like to run out of.

In essence.. what are THE staples of smoking meat and cooking outdoors in general?

Last edited:
After a successful experiment with agave nectar and ancho chili powder, they would have to be in there, but the essentials for me:

CBP

Kosher Salt

Dark Brown Sugar

Paprika (any kind will work)

Cayenne

Granulated Garlic

Cider vinegar

Rubber gloves

HD foil

disposable aluminum pans

2 pairs of large metal tongs

Charcoal chimney

1 gal zip-loc bags

Sharp Knife

I think with those I can do just about anything.  Honestly I could get away with CBP and Kosher salt and make some killer smoked meat but for the product that I'm doing now, the above is essential.

I like most of what I saw here so I will just add on a few items.

A bottle Maker's Mark for my homemade BBQ sauce. MMMMMM-MMMMMMM

Heavy Duty Aluminum foil - lots of it for holidays!

Bowls - for mixing up the rub!

Great thread Jeff, good information on what we should not be without.

I will agree with all the above.  I have to add the following.

-Rubber gloves (cough, cough) haha.  They are nice when handling the raw meat.

-Tin pans.  I think they are called catering pans and come in several sizes.

-several Cigars. 

As long as I have meat, CBP, Salt, Paprika, Garlic, Foil, and Beer, then I think I could be fine.  Though I usually have to make a run to the store the night before I smoke, as there's always something new I want to try....

I'd have to throw in disposable vinyl gloves as I use them each and every time I handle meat and/or japs. Helps keep the nasty stuff from getting under the fingernails.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky